Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant throw a cast net,got metal in my elbow and it dont bend.Other than a basket,how do folks catch em? Common sense says a small hook and small bait but was wondering if thats the best way.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
yup a small hook and a small piece of shrimp or squid always has done the trick , cast nets are nice but the places you find a bunch of these are usual not good places to throw a net.

·
Registered
334 Posts
All you need is a bream hook and small pieces of bait. Them sucked will eat just about anything you place on the hook. Just be quick with the hook set cause they will steal your bait in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fish for croaker and spot up here in New Jersey and use sabiki rigs with fishbites. I'm sure any small piece of bait will work and it's a really effective method to catch multiple fish at a time ..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I need to get a bigger hook to fish the croaker on?...been using 2's and they look too little for a big bait

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
i u prefer long shank gold hooks …they bend easily when removing, causing less damage to the bait!…oh and squid, saves rebaiting after every bite,
This, long shank good hooks and squid stays on better than anything else.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree with the little circle hooks. Get a small dehooker and you don't even have to touch the bait to dehook it which increases its survival rate and liveliness.
Fisherdad

·
Registered
870 Posts
I use a 2 hook fishfinder rig with long shank gold hooks tipped with a small piece of cut Gulp or fish bites. These stay on much better and 2 pieces will usually last you all day long.

I just take 10-12lb test and use 3 spider hitch knots (2 for the hooks and 1 on the bottom for the weight) and then tie the top to a swivel. The spider hitch is not the best knot for strength but quick and easy for this application. Just put the whole loop the hook eye and wrap around the hook to hold it. Takes me about 1 minute to make a rig.

·
Registered
806 Posts
agree on the long hook comments for sure. I fish a lot using gulp baits, and the pinfish and croakers are really bad about biting off the tails and leaving the body. I learned a few years back that you can cut the body a knife or pair of snips and use the chunks on a hook just as you would squid or other bait. Catch hundreds of them a year like this, especially good for the larger croakers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts