Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fishing... personally, i love it, there is nothing in the world that could possibly make me happier, and i think most have the same feeling, So how did everyone get into fishing?, I remember when i was about 4 years old, my dad was apart of a crew of a commercial snapper boat, we were at the Moorings (beach marina) and i was busy away catching pinfish for my dad to use for snapper bait, when out of nowhere, this redfish comes out from under the dock and slams my gold hook that had a piece of squid on it, as young as i was, i can still remeber the sound of the drag on that Penn 712z, and that's where it began.... and even though that redfish was only about 20 inches, i was so happy...

so what's everyone else's story?:letsdrink

·
Super Moderator
12,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wishiniwasfishin07 (11/20/2007)that penn didnt explode?!?! :poke :moon
thank god,... just cause i don't like penns, doesn't mean i won't keep it... i still have that 712.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My grandfather, he was insturmental in my life in the outdoors, unfortunately I lost him to soon. In his will, I got all of his fishing equipment, and in the 1st yr here on shore duty, It all got stolen from me when my ex wife left the garage door open.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Emagine this. A young boy fishing with his grandfather in his lake on the farm in Evergreen Al. Early in the morning, steam coming up off of the lake, quiet as could be. Grandfather sculling the boat with a paddle, hearing the train whistle way off in the distance as it makes it's way through town. Crows starting to come alive as the sun rises through the trees. Cows coming down to the pond for an early morning drink. This is one of my best memories as a kid growing up and one that has instilled in me a passion for fishing and being in the great outdoors.:)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
i have to say my cousin was the one who got me into fishing when i was young...my dad never was much of an outdoorsmen...but my cousin always had the pacience to teach me how to fish...and even now that i have gotten older we still fish together every chance we get!!! if it wasnt for him i probably would have never even started fishing...

·
Registered
941 Posts
My first love was boats.Over time,I learned that my favorite activity while on a boat was fishing. My PaternalGrandfather was an avid hunter and fisherman who started heading to the coast in the late '30s. He and my uncle always took me fishing.I do not recall my first fish. I do vividly remember loosing a large Rainbow Trout due to a frozen drag, and how that lost fish resonated in me. Amazingly, we were on the dock in '62 when the first Blue Marlin was brought tothe into Destin, that fish haunted me and I was determined to catch one I soon as I was bid enough.In a few years my family was pursuing billfish in the Gulf and the Bahamas. I must say the fishing wasunbelievably good.My grandfather often jokedthat I was without adoubt his most expensive grandchild or even child. Like many of us, he was gone way too soon. My best days have been with my family and friends on the water. Just for grins, here are a few pictures. The first one is my mom and I when I am 8 months old (Feb '56).The picture is the west side of Destin Harbor, now thesight of the Emerald Grand. Needless to say,the coast has changed alot. The second picture is one of the few pics I have of my Grandfather's Hatteras in the Bahamas, and lastly, a picture of my wife and kids in Oct '98 during the Destin Rodeo, it ismy most meaningful day of fishing.

·
Registered
689 Posts
We used to have a fish camp in Destin that the whole family would go to 2 or 3 times a year for 2 weeks or so each trip. Mullet was the target! Grandpa had several gill nets, and we had a boat that the motor was mounted in the middle, towards the front so the back was a platform for the net boat. Lots of good times down there. Then as I got older, I fished with my cousin a lot in freshwater....about the same time my brother in law started taking me off the pier's. My first king is what really had me hooked!

I've been away from fishing for a few years...got into hot rods and drag racing. Spent a few years helping with a 10.5 tire outlaw drag car. Now, not doing that anymore, and trying to get back into fishing...more people around you can enjoy it.

But I'll tell you, putting my 98 trans am back together and buying fishing gear, is expensive! LOL

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
in your last pic, is that Capt. John on the right?

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
That is John Holley. He is responsible for my start in bluewater fishing. I have fished all my life though. Freshwater up till the end of my first marriage. My current wife introduced me to saltwater though. It had a crack-like affect on me. I can't live without it now....

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
what boat is John running now?

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
He was running "Ole Miss" out of Destin last I saw. That was this year at some of the tournaments....

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
how i got into the "Salt Life"? i grew up in it. my folks had a beach cottage over on east bay. i don't remember ever learning to swim. just always have been able to. i grew up on blue crabs, oysters, shrimp, mullet, and flounder. i still stop by and visit the people my folks sold the old place to. very nice people. it is over in hickory shores #2. wish we still had it. i have had a gulf boat for the last 21 or 22 years. i have also turned down some very nice job offers just to stay near salt water!! i can't even think of life without it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
When i was 5 years old my dad took me out in his little john boat. I remember mullet jumping and hearing the drag scream when i caught my first redfish then i became hooked.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to credit my maternal grandfather for getting me into fishing in York, PA. I grew up in Miami and we'd (Mom, 2 brothers and me)stay with our grandparents during the summer. Pap was an avid hubter and fisherman. He had a small outboard and he'd rent a john boat at some marina on the Susquehanna.

Later, when I was about 13, my father opened a summer camp in the Keys and, as a counselor, I'd take kids into the Gulf Stream twice a day all summer long. That's when I got hooked!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I used to sit at home in the stix of NC and watch the saltwater fishing shows on TV and say "THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!" I moved to the beach after high school to go to college and that's where I met my husband. His familylived in Wilmington too and hadfished most of their lives - and that's how I got started. The very first time I went out with them, we tookdad's older 20' Mako through the Masonboro Jetties and it was one of the roughest days! To start with, it rained as soon as we launched the boat and got underway. Then, being "experienced" Scott and his dad tried to go up and over the breaking waves in the inlet thinking it may be better once we got through the Inlet. . . HA! They turned around after a few waves hit the boat. lol.We fished the calm parts of the jetty and then went down to the River and fished some places there. I never once got sick and to this day I have never been sea sick! yay me. lol.We didn't catch a single thing that day. The very next time we made it outthough, Scotthanded me a sabikiand I hooked into a false albacore. lol. It was wrapped alllll around the sabikis. It was so much fun and I still love every bit of it today!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
When I was 4 years old my Dad took me fishing, when I casted I hooked myself in the butt and said it bit me Daddy it bit me Daddy. I have been hooked since then. Litterally

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I grew up on a farm here in Wilsonville, Alabama and we had a small 1/2 acre pond that was loaded with bluegill and bass. When my grandma would come to visit we would cook out and go down to the pond and all five of us would fish with our grandma. Every summer we would take vacation to Panama city and I would usually go with my uncle and cousin camping at Gulf Shores for a week. I will never forget when my cousin and I caught a 6lb flounder on a Zebco 202, my uncle laughed his butt off and till the day he died still talked about th two little idiots that didnt know what the h##l they had caught because we were afraid to pick it up it was so ugly, but I allways reminded him that some other older idiot didnt have a clue either.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Great thread! My grandmother got me into camping and loving the outdoors. Every summer I looked forward to summer vacation, not b/c school was out, but b/c I knew that grandma would take us all camping.

My uncle got me into fishing. I remember him coming over to my grandparents house and picking me up. Heading over to Jims fish camp and fishing from shore. I didn't know anything about fishing at the time and just like most 6 year olds, I got bored quickly. I remember trying to keep the crabs off the stringer full of fish. My uncle telling me about the gators and so forth. I hoooked into a big red while out there once and that got the juices flowing. I didn't get seriously into fishing until about 2 years ago when i joined this forum. It's been none stop since!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I was born in Boston, MA.My parents divorced when I was about 3 or 4. Due to the fact my aunt had asthma (and had to leave the area) and another aunt had moved to Hialeah, Fl we all packed up and headed south. I was raised in a household consisting of my grandmother, mother, aunt, brother, and myself till my mother remarried in 1958, (I was 12). We moved to Miami Springs, Fl, (North boundary of Miami International Airport) which was adjacent to Hialeah and was bounded by canals on two sides and had about 5 lakes. The first Christmas myMom andDad(step-dad), bought both my brother and I our first fishing set-up...Mitchel 304's (had no exposure to fishing up to this point). Larry (lived east of us 1 block) and I became great friends. We would always be together, when time permitted, fishing, these canals and lakes. As a family and as I had a love for fishing, the family would take outings to the bay, Card Sound andthe Keys.In 1959 we moved to Seattle, WA and moved back a year later, at which time my Dad bought a boat....that is how it all started. My Dad did do some hunting growing up in Seattle, but I would not considerhim a sportsman by any means, but his introduction of theoutdoors has followed me the past 48 years.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts