Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Team Jack 'Em Up
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we know everyone has their own private honey holes (myself included) that we absolutely will not share. And I know that while out fishing we sometimes come across unmarked spots that we end up marking for future use. But how did everyone get the majority of their private numbers? I know there are guys with hundreds of unpublished/private numbers in their GPSs that surely didn't troll around and find them all, or deploy them all for that matter.

It'd be neat to hear how most people got their good spots...like passed down through the family, really good friends, old captains who passed away, a bet gone wrong (haha), etc. Just thought it'd make for a good discussion.

Anyways, hope everyone has a Merry Christmas! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
I keep a digital camera on the console. A shot of the screen gives me what the structure looks like, the numbers and the depth. Got alot like that. Some given to me. I share some with a couple of friends which reciprocate. Found majority on my own over a good many years. Got a pile I have never fished.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,513 Posts
Zap 'em on radar.:whistling:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ya wanna find fish: have a decent recorder, make certain the transducer works well at 6-20 knts, own a four stroke, and slow down and take a look!

All you need is a dozen or so numbers, scattered around. They are published, pick some. If you can those then you can find your own. If the equipment works as it is designed to work, keep your eyes on the screen and watch the bottom. Keep that recorder looking at the bottom 30 - 40 ft, you're lookin for bottom, you are not interested in the top 50 - 100 ft.

When you see something 2,3,4,5,6 ft. high. Punch a button, slow down rapidly, turn around and find that sucker! Drop a line RIGHT ON TOP OF IT, not 50' away. Keep it write a note by it: 2' rock, 5 ledge, RS, White snp, etc, and always write the date.

Passed down, stolen, that ain't a fisherman! Passed on numbers often are just that, no longer the hot spots they were 10,20,30 yrs ago. Keeping them secret for 10-30 years usually ain't secret. That bottom out there changes, storm after storm. Fish move around and sands cover up good habitat, as well as uncover other habitat.

Go find some fish in an area that does get beaten down. I got numbers, numbers that go back to 1975, LORAN, GPS, cover hundreds and hundreds of sqmi, east coast/west coast near shore, far off shore. Google earth has made it much easier, order some nav stuff from someone/Hilton; that shows 2ft contour lines.

Then you can always sink your boat and go back and fish on top of it year after year!

I'll teach any of ya that wanna learn.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,865 Posts
Right on the money. This could not have been said any better.

Ya wanna find fish: have a decent recorder, make certain the transducer works well at 6-20 knts, own a four stroke, and slow down and take a look!

All you need is a dozen or so numbers, scattered around. They are published, pick some. If you can those then you can find your own. If the equipment works as it is designed to work, keep your eyes on the screen and watch the bottom. Keep that recorder looking at the bottom 30 - 40 ft, you're lookin for bottom, you are not interested in the top 50 - 100 ft.

When you see something 2,3,4,5,6 ft. high. Punch a button, slow down rapidly, turn around and find that sucker! Drop a line RIGHT ON TOP OF IT, not 50' away. Keep it write a note by it: 2' rock, 5 ledge, RS, White snp, etc, and always write the date.

Passed down, stolen, that ain't a fisherman! Passed on numbers often are just that, no longer the hot spots they were 10,20,30 yrs ago. Keeping them secret for 10-30 years usually ain't secret. That bottom out there changes, storm after storm. Fish move around and sands cover up good habitat, as well as uncover other habitat.

Go find some fish in an area that does get beaten down. I got numbers, numbers that go back to 1975, LORAN, GPS, cover hundreds and hundreds of sqmi, east coast/west coast near shore, far off shore. Google earth has made it much easier, order some nav stuff from someone/Hilton; that shows 2ft contour lines.

Then you can always sink your boat and go back and fish on top of it year after year!

I'll teach any of ya that wanna learn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts