Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN a boat of course. Years back we could anchor off the pipeline but since 911

Im not sure is it 300ft or yrds what?

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,445 Posts
They have small bouys set up off the shoreline every 500 yards or so... they have actually moved them in a bit. I'm not sure if the old Macdonalds pipe extends to the bouys.

Just stay outside the bouys and you are fine.

Jim

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
You can get to the edge of the pipeline and be even or just outside the bouys. Isn't it funny that if you want to go to the museum which is ON the base then all you need is a drivers license for the driver of the car and the other 10 passengers you have need to show nothing. But a guy in a boat can't come within a couple hundred feet of the base to fish anymore...:banghead

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The distance of the bouys varies from buoy to buoy; especially around Trout Point. Just don't go inside the buoys. The bridge and docks I believe is 500 feet.

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
It really doesn't seem to matter anymore because everytime I'm fishing out there, I see countless boats that are almost on land, not to mention all the boats that drift into with just a few feet of the pier and start a conversation with us:banghead

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Water Hazard (4/11/2010)You can get to the edge of the pipeline and be even or just outside the bouys. Isn't it funny that if you want to go to the museum which is ON the base then all you need is a drivers license for the driver of the car and the other 10 passengers you have need to show nothing. But a guy in a boat can't come within a couple hundred feet of the base to fish anymore...:banghead
It use to be a really big deal when the blue patrol boats where running. You couldn't get anywhere near the base without getting popped on radar and the boats showed up with .50 cals ready.

I haven't seen one of those boats since I started commercial fishing three seasons ago. I don't think they care anymore, or at least as much. When I was crabbing on the sand bar north of the lex pier I had my traps inside the bouys and never had a problem. When they pulled the buoys to clean them they even re-set them inside of my trap line another couple hundred yards up towards the beach.

And y'all base fishermen might not want to yell to loudly about boaters. Last time when they restricted boat traffic they shut down most of the shore based fishing too. They use to let everyone fish out there before 9/11, but the restrictions shut it all down for awhile. I grew up fishing both off the base and near it in a boat, and it took us awhile to get both rights back (at least a little anyway).

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
BigBrandon (4/11/2010)It really doesn't seem to matter anymore because everytime I'm fishing out there, I see countless boats that are almost on land, not to mention all the boats that drift into with just a few feet of the pier and start a conversation with us:banghead
Brandon....Just curious. What is your affiliation with NAS/military thatauthorizes you to fish out there?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
i for one am so glad they put up those plastic bouys to protect our base from terrorist. i saw a boat load of them terrorists heading there the other day armed to the teeth. they saw them bouys said snap and turned around and went home.

the first thing you do in a security situation is sound the alarm. i think a shoreline encircled by citizens armed with a phone number or vhf channel would be very effective in insuring base security.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Death From Above (4/12/2010)
BigBrandon (4/11/2010)It really doesn't seem to matter anymore because everytime I'm fishing out there, I see countless boats that are almost on land, not to mention all the boats that drift into with just a few feet of the pier and start a conversation with us:banghead

Brandon....Just curious. What is your affiliation with NAS/military thatauthorizes you to fish out there?

None..., but he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
We had the barge anchored on the bouy line all summer fwc checked me 1 time and the coast anchored up behind me one day fixing something on those towers or markers i talked to them for a hour or so and they asked if we could just move the barge about 20 feet away since i alreday drifted way past the bouys , caught alot of nice fish there this summer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts