Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to San Diego on a trip. Went to Sea world while I was there, and they had this huge Goliath Grouper in the tank. How much do you think it weighed??

and a pretty picture of the sun setting in the pacific......

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hard to tell how big it is. Maybe 60 Pounds. They come way bigger than that I have seen some that could swallow a man. There is one off our coast in a local dive spot that is good at hiding. Shine your flashlight in a certain hole and it will suprised you how big it is. They are cool fish.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
It is hard to tell how big it is. I was using the tail of what I think is a Jack crevalle in the right corner for a referance of how far away it is. There was a show on a few weeks ago where a guy caught one in Tampa I think that was over 500 lbs it was massive

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
sniper (11/14/2009)It is hard to tell how big it is. I was using the tail of what I think is a Jack crevalle in the right corner for a referance of how far away it is. There was a show on a few weeks ago where a guy caught one in Tampa I think that was over 500 lbs it was massive
Im pretty sure thats a yellowtail's tail

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I honestly don't know what it weighs. We are just guessing to be guessing. I don't think sea world is gonna let me catch him to weigh him.......

Here are some more pics of him:

And a picture of that fish that lives only in the amazon and grows to huge proportions. It was on "river monsters" one episode. Think it is called Arapaima (or something similar...)

and one manatee....

some flamingos....

and one panda......

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Freespool (11/14/2009)
sniper (11/14/2009)It is hard to tell how big it is. I was using the tail of what I think is a Jack crevalle in the right corner for a referance of how far away it is. There was a show on a few weeks ago where a guy caught one in Tampa I think that was over 500 lbs it was massive

I think it has too much radius to be a yellowtail. Looks like a Jack to me but I was wrong one other time in my life so lightning could strike twice. I think they are about the same size fish eitherway

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
sniper (11/14/2009)
Freespool (11/14/2009)
I think it has too much radius to be a yellowtail. Looks like a Jack to me but I was wrong one other time in my life so lightning could strike twice. I think they are about the same size fish eitherway
no way its a yellowtail.. im with you on being a jack

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Not sure about how big but he is not as big as you think. Remember that the tank has got really thick glass and that magnifiies the size of the fish. My guess would be around the 80 - 100 pound area.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Not to derail, but I was trying to kick up an old thread I posted a couple of years back for comparison... Here's the link to the old forum comments, but the link inthe threadjust takes you to the Florida Sportsman site... I don't guess any of you thought to maybe save a few of the pictures did you...? I don't think I've seen them posted on the new forum.

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21994&posts=14

·
Registered
840 Posts
Listen to the fishermen guessing weight. Looking at it in the tank i would say 80 or so. Ifyuo guyshad caught it and was telling the story she would have been at least 250.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Brandy (11/15/2009)Listen to the fishermen guessing weight. Looking at it in the tank i would say 80 or so. Ifyuo guyshad caught it and was telling the story she would have been at least 250.
2500! Didnt see the tank but I did see the green turtle in it. I tried 1 day to get a turtle up once to get fishing line off of it. It weighed way more than I thought. What I thought was maybe a 100#s was way off. Sometimes when people get a turtle on the line they cut thier line instead of breaking the line at the turtle.:doh That ends up possbly killing it later. They loose flippers from line , etc.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
dbyrd2100 (11/14/2009)Looks about the size of the large grouper RECESS normaly brings in.
Thanks for the nice comment but i wish i could catch 100# groupers we could have more pff fish frys for sure. We had a good day saturday with nice weather anda pretty nice mixed bag of groupers . But its had to tell how big that golith grouper really is probaly around 100-150 .

TIM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts