Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on now. Saw a picture of it taken from a condo. Looks like the house is engulfed.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
It's 400 yds from our house. 2 houses total loss, 1 house damaged. Hot hot and dry. Firemen earned their keep today. I can't imagine how hot it is in those suits.

Prayers to those who lost property. No word yet on injuries but looked to be seasonal homes.

It was a hell of a fire.

Reactions: oldflathead

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I’ve been a fire fighter for 14 years. We earn our keep everyday. Just because you don’t call 911 doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t. Escambia County averages a house fire every 26 hours, and we respond to over 10,000 calls a year. Those suits that we call gear are essential for interior fire fighting operations, and they are hot. We get paid to wear it and we wear it a lot.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I’ve been a fire fighter for 14 years. We earn our keep everyday. Just because you don’t call 911 doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t. Escambia County averages a house fire every 26 hours, and we respond to over 10,000 calls a year. Those suits that we call gear are essential for interior fire fighting operations, and they are hot. We get paid to wear it and we wear it a lot.
Thank you and stay safe!

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Did not mean to imply that firemen need a fire to "earn their keep". It's an expression of sorts. I guess "worked their asses off in an extremely challenging situation" would have been more appropriate. Hell I saw a fireman on a ladder RIGHT ON TOP of the flames hosing down the structure. He was taken to the hospital I later learned. Heat related. No wonder, I could feel it on my face from 200 yds away.

I can't imagine the physical and mental challenges that come with first responders. I am very grateful for the protections. Thank you sir!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I didn’t take the comment as an imply for anything, I don’t wear my ass on my shoulders. I took it as an opportunity to educate, as most think all we do is eat, work out, sleep and sit in recliners. As well as run calls, annually we check every single fire hydrant, 10 pre plans a month, annually test all hose and pumps, minimum of one hour PT per shift, minimum 2 hours of training per shift, public education events, check and operate every single piece of equipment every day, and the list goes on. Hell, I leave for Nashville today with 11 others for a week long training event paid for out of our own pockets. Just giving some insight. Seems like we have less and less support from the public (the brothers in blue/green have it worse in that regard) even though we’re literally killing ourselves for this community. Thanks to those who support.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's 400 yds from our house. 2 houses total loss, 1 house damaged. Hot hot and dry. Firemen earned their keep today. I can't imagine how hot it is in those suits.

Prayers to those who lost property. No word yet on injuries but looked to be seasonal homes.

It was a hell of a fire.
what street?

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts