Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I had a bad prognosis for my areas snook in the "kayak trip to Tampa" thread, but I have some good news today...

Went out after work for a quick hour and a half trip, that I desperately needed to take the edge off of a stressful day. I got to my spot and the mullet were going crazy, and the fry were jumping everywhere. I thought to myself that it sure was nice to see some life in the water again and that maybe, just maybe I will get some trout and ladies to play before headed home. Well my first cast with the spook did not disappoint with an 19" trout. The second cast brought a big explosion that I could have sworn was a snook, but he got off... I said to myself "Maybe it was just a big trout?" A few more casts and a nice 22" trout was boat side. "...definitely must have been a big trout". I made my next cast long into some happy mullet... twitch-twitch- BLAMMMMO! ZZZZZZZZZ! Fish on, and all the while I am saying to myself "THIS HAS TO BE THE BIGGEST TROUT OF MY LIFE... so why is it fighting like a snook?" Sure enough, to my absolute delight there she was, a 34 inch beauty... A little thin, a little bruised, but she swam off as strong as she fought. All in all a very healthy fish.

(Sorry about the photo but the camera is in the shop and all I had was my phone...)

I was thrilled with fact that there was some surviving snook after this freak cold weather, and that they were healthy and feeding. I ended up getting another trout in the 20's and hooked another snooklet that gave me a few jumps to show me he was alright before throwing the hook. A very good day and I can't even remember what I was stressed about.

·
Registered
548 Posts
That is awesome! thank you very much for the report. I was wondering if it was going to rebound. I noticed alot of fry today in our local bayou's, i guess the freeze forced them to breed. it's great , but i hope it doesn't mess with the natural spawning. great report, love to see more.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Thanks for the report Nick. Looks like there will be something swimming next time I'm in your area. I'll actually be there this weekend but won't have time to fish :(

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thanks for the report! After seeing pics of hundreds of dead fish down there, it is good to see there is hope!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts