Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that certain fish (namely reds and cats) are best fished on the bottom. I have tried a few different rigs that I've read about or heard about to fish this way, but keep getting my rigs stuck on the bottom, and end up breaking the line off.

First I tried tying a swivel to the main line. The I tied a weight to a leader off the other end of the swivel with about 3 feet of line. I also tied a hook to a leader on the same end of the swivel with about 2 feet of line. Hoping that the weight would rest on the bottom and the hook stay about a foot up. This got stuck on the bottom. Not sure if the sinker got lodged in something or the hook got the bottom. The main line broke and I lost the swivel and leader lines.

Second I read from a field and stream or some such magazine. It said just to tie a leader straight onto the main line without swivel or anything and hook the baitfish through the tail. No weights or hardware other than the hook were used. The theory being that the fish would naturally swim to the bottom and seem injured as it struggled against the line. I used a little pinfish and locked my reel when it hit the water. That way there would be a little tension on the line as it swam down. This got snagged on the bottom as well. Another hook gone!

Please, any tips on getting these baits (live or frozen/cut bait) on the bottom without me catching the entire earth????? I'm tired of losing all my hooks!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
If you are going to continue to fish , your going to lose gear, might as well get used to it , it's gonna happen alot. Try a slip cork. fishing on the bottom is not the best all the time. In fact , most of the time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carolina, no other method works better! IMO
What does this rig do to help my situation? It looks as if the hook will still go right down into the rocks like my other attempts. Also does it work well with live bait? The drawing above looks like a lure rig.
If you are going to continue to fish , your going to lose gear, might as well get used to it , it's gonna happen alot. Try a slip cork. fishing on the bottom is not the best all the time. In fact , most of the time.
I understand, but it seems to happen every time I attempt to fish the bottom. If fishing off a pier, for example, and you want to hook a red, do you fish with a bobber? All accounts that I've read/heard of say that reds hang out at the bottom, and that even their downturned mouths are bred for feeding the bottom.

I'm new to this, I haven't really been fishing much since my dad used to take me as a kid, but would like to get back into it. It's a whole lot more fun when you're fishing more than retying rigs!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and FWIW I am stationary when fishing, not trolling. Either on an anchored boat, shore, or a bridge/pier.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sounds like you're fishing at Perdido Pass!

Different areas will call for different methods, if you're fishing from a pier, I'd say go with the Carolina rig.

·
Registered
417 Posts
in that carolina rig discription above, pretend that lure isnt there and replace it with whatever kind of hook u use for live bait.

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Best way to avoid getting hung-up on bottom is to remember where you got snagged, and don't throw there again. If you're fishing on a reck/reef, don't let the bait rest on bottom. It's just a matter of where your fishing and how well you know that spot...not all "bottom" is created equal.

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
The Carolina rig shown above is the best way to fish the bottom with live or artificials IMO. I'd use an egg weight rather than the bullet weight shown above.

Just my $.02

Reds will feed on the top just like the bottom I think it will depend on the water depth. Reds will crush a top water lure or bait on a bobber. They are not restricted to the bottom.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Reds have a down turned mouth to root out things on the bottom like worms and crabs. However, they will eat just about anything. I have seem shoot up from under a menhaden to grab it with a result they jump right out of the water. They certainly will hit a lure near the surface.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best way to avoid getting hung-up on bottom is to remember where you got snagged, and don't throw there again. If you're fishing on a reck/reef, don't let the bait rest on bottom. It's just a matter of where your fishing and how well you know that spot...not all "bottom" is created equal.
Good call. I actually remember fishing the oil rigs about 15 years ago. We'd drop our bait straight off the boat and let it sink til it hit bottom and real it up a couple cranks so it sat just above. We were fishing for snapper however, not drum. Will try though to not let it rest.
The Carolina rig shown above is the best way to fish the bottom with live or artificials IMO. I'd use an egg weight rather than the bullet weight shown above.

Just my $.02

Reds will feed on the top just like the bottom I think it will depend on the water depth. Reds will crush a top water lure or bait on a bobber. They are not restricted to the bottom.
Good to know. Bobbers are so much easier anyhow!

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
perforated gulf balls. Put a pyramid sinker inside..using a single or double loop rig. problem solved. :thumbsup: works great when fishing for shippies off the jetties.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
perforated gulf balls. Put a pyramid sinker inside..using a single or double loop rig. problem solved. :thumbsup: works great when fishing for shippies off the jetties.
Cool idea! I'll have to pick up a pack of those next time I'm at Academy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts