Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the early 70's, my grandparents has a pair of Honda CT trail bikes. I don't know if they were 90's or 110's. They sold the bikes MANY years ago and have both since passed away, so cant ask them any questions. Anyway, I have decided that I want to get one. Anyone here know anything about Ct's? Have one they want to get rid of? Or any other smart*$$ comments? HAHA I'm sure PFF will not disappoint, especially on the smart*$$ed comments. :thumbsup:

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,135 Posts
Man I always wanted one. Mom said "NO WAY!" I've NEVER been on a motorcycle thanks to Mom.

They were COOL when you were 16!!!

Jim

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I have a CT-70. It is a great little bike to play around on... I want a SL-70 like I had as a kid......... Keep an eye on E-Bay. I see them often...

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,135 Posts
Wasn't (or maybe still) a requirement for a license plate on anything over XX horsepower? I remember on boats it was 10 hp to be "registered" so you could actually buy 9.9 HP outboard motors. Maybe still true today?

Jim

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Craigs list for any number of cities around the area has them all the time in varying degrees of quality. You have to look in the motorcycle section of each city. You can also generate a national list of finds. Go to Google and look for how to generate a national find list for Craigs list.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've found lots of them for sale in my surrounding craigslist areas. I was just hoping to talk to someone that had some knowledge of them. I'm not a bike guy and have never owned one.

I thought about picking one up and restoring it a little. Not museum quality, just nice and functional. I thought I might ride it to work occasionally. I only work a mile and a half from home.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I owned two 1972 CT 70s when my son was younger. He had a ball riding them around our 1200 acre hunting lease.
I used to be really into them but haven't kept up with them lately.
There are usually some nice ones on E-Bay but they aren't cheap. I saw a pristine early 70s model go for $3,500 once.
Do a google search. There are several guys around the country that restore and sell them and parts are readily available.
There is also a Chinese version available called a Panda that is an exact replica of the old Honda.
Now I'm going strictly from memory here but seems like they made them from about 1969 - 1977, quit for a while and then made them a few years again in the 90s.
They made a clutchless 3 speed model and they also made a 4 speed model with a clutch that goes for more money. That one I believe is street legal. But it's been over 10 years since I messed with them and my memory is fading.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They made a clutchless 3 speed model and they also made a 4 speed model with a clutch that goes for more money. That one I believe is street legal. But it's been over 10 years since I messed with them and my memory is fading.
I thought they were all street legal. All of them that I have seen had blinkers, lights, brake lights etc...

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Wasn't (or maybe still) a requirement for a license plate on anything over XX horsepower? I remember on boats it was 10 hp to be "registered" so you could actually buy 9.9 HP outboard motors. Maybe still true today?

Jim
According to one of my LEO customers, if it does not have pedals it has to be tagged. Moped, with pedals, do not need tags. Any other motorized vehicles, including 49 cc scooters must be tagged. The diffence is license endorsement. Under 50cc, no motorcycle endorsement needed. Above and you must have the endorsement. Horsepower doesnt matter.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
They are not very durable for off road use.
No lower frame so the foot pegs are mounted to the engine case. A long, long time ago I had a trail 70 and attempted a jump Evil Knievel would of been proud of... Landing while standing on the pegs broke the bottom of the engine case clean off the rest of the bike. Then it really got ugly!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had a Honda trail 90. Yellow or red were the choices. It would climb a tree in low...gas tank under the seat...knobby tires...kick start...street legal...

I was 15 living in Sangley Point PI and brought it back when we moved here. Wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are not very durable for off road use.
No lower frame so the foot pegs are mounted to the engine case. A long, long time ago I had a trail 70 and attempted a jump Evil Knievel would of been proud of... Landing while standing on the pegs broke the bottom of the engine case clean off the rest of the bike. Then it really got ugly!
I'm WAY too old to try that. That would be a trip to the hospital even if I stuck the landing.

I'm just looking for something to tool around the neighborhood on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts