Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last fall i descided to build my own wooden boat ... a 14 foot skiff ... its been a year and i have taken my time on it! Here is a short video slideshow of it from start to finish... BY NO means am i a pro but just a kid who loves the water and wife wouldnt let me buy a boat ... So i built one! i should have it finished by spring ready for some fishing!

Tabers

http://youtu.be/PseR9hH0dnw

Registered
Looks great, you have talent.

Maybe your wife will change her mind now that you worked so hard on it...

:thumbup::notworthy::thumbup:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plans are basic ... but i got them free from spira international ... he says they cost like 70$ but i just emailed him and he sent them to me pdf... took the pdf to an architect friend of mine and printed blue prints of it ... also corrected a few errors with angles and measurments we found making a 3d model of it on a CAD system ... so a little work went into that but made the build easier with 3foot by 3 foot plans lol

Tabers

Tangle Master
Tabers you are doing good work!
Patriot thanks for the link. I found myself drooling at the 22' Wildcat catamaran. It would be nice if they would list a materials needed. As for a bay flats boat I am going to cut my 1982 Wellcraft 18 Fisherman down the gunnels and custom build the interior to a bay boat style. :thumbup: ..

Banned
Not sure where you bought the wood from and I'm sure you'll be sealing the wood, but I bought some wood from Pensacola salvage, they told me it was exterior grade wood, I used it to put the new roof on my house, it rained for about 15 mins and all the plywood I got from them started coming apart and warping like crazy, so I had to rip it all off, took and back and of course they wouldn't take it back or even trade it for new wood. Wood from Lowe's and home depot didn't have that problem

Registered
Be Very Very careful here. Once you start building and playing with boats it becomes a addiction. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wood i baught was from a plywood speciality store ... its marine grade ply ... Suppose to be made with water proof glue and all voids filled... it was costly but better than having to redo everything ... i will be sealing the wood with an epoxy and glassing the bottom with veneer on the sides

Thanks Guys!

Tabers

Registered
I only have a few pix's of it. It was built in '03.

It took 1st place at the Wooden boat show at Pirates Cove for it's class. The next year they changed the class and took 1st again. Then I sold it.

I would actually run faster with two people in it as it got a better bite on the water. It was built 15'-11" to save money on registration. 27MPH with one person and 28MPH with the 2nd person. Tested with GPS

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I baught the wood from a plywood supplier ... all marine grade ... cost twice as much as reg ply but worth it to keep rot away and the plys from separating ...
Thanks again guys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts