Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I'VE never caught a
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those that have just had a house built recently or those that build homes, what has been the typical length of time to completion? I know that there are tons of variables going into this, but my house is currently in the process of being built and im just trying to get a good idea of how much longer i have to rent. The builder has given me a worst case scenario estimate, and i was wanting to get an idea how long everyone else's has taken.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Congrats, who's building it? Does the contract say anything at all about what happens if they go beyond the worst case date? If not, it'll be beyond that date. Ours took 9 months, with no delays for storms. I've watched bigger and nicer houses fly up nearby in about 4-5 months, one of them already being moved into.

·
I'VE never caught a
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wound up going with ED-corp, weighing the good and bad out of all the other builders in my price range they seemed to be the best for what i wanted. The worst case was 9 months at which time i think the permits expire.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
We just went to contract with Ed Corp, they are anticipating 8 to 10 months but we are doing a lot of our own upgrades such as floors and cabinets, driveway etc.

·
Praedator
9,980 Posts
Like you said, a lot of variables there! I had a custom home builder that only does 3-5 houses per year. Once he broke ground clearing my lot, we moved in 5 months later!

But he was working on ours and one other at the time.

A guy down the street from me had another builder and it was 14 months for him to get into his! So it can vary big time! Only you and your builder can estimate for you. Keep on them and don't let them tell you that your timeline has slipped unless it's for a real legit reason!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I just wrapped up mine (still working on things like a fence and grass) and it's the first house that I have ever built. I decided to be my own contractor, hired a consultant to make sure I didn't make any horrible mistakes, and I finished in about 6 to 7 months and under budget!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Broke ground on my house in July 2018. Hoping to finish and move in Sept. 2019.
Ran into issues with hurricane hitting east coast and power company going to help, small town. Then cold winter up here so painting was hit and miss. Building another house and finishing it the same time plus I work 1 month on 1 month off.

House was closed in once started pretty quick like 2 months from footers to roof added.

Same builder started on another house in Feb and they are moved in already.

I would say 4-6 months if builder does it all and 6-9 months if you finish it up. I'm doing all the painting, floors (hardwood and tile), cabinets, stairs, guard rails, window sills. Didn't do plumbing drywall , spray foam in walls and electical. I am blowing the insulation in the attic myself though.

·
I'VE never caught a
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They poured my footer in early may, when i went out there this morning they were finishing up hanging plywood on the roof. I imagine it will start to slow down a pretty good bit now.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Broke ground on my house in July 2018. Hoping to finish and move in Sept. 2019.
Ran into issues with hurricane hitting east coast and power company going to help, small town. Then cold winter up here so painting was hit and miss. Building another house and finishing it the same time plus I work 1 month on 1 month off.

House was closed in once started pretty quick like 2 months from footers to roof added.

Same builder started on another house in Feb and they are moved in already.

I would say 4-6 months if builder does it all and 6-9 months if you finish it up. I'm doing all the painting, floors (hardwood and tile), cabinets, stairs, guard rails, window sills. Didn't do plumbing drywall , spray foam in walls and electical. I am blowing the insulation in the attic myself though.
You spray foamed the walls, but putting blown insulation in the attic?? Kinda backwards huh??

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What a beautiful house! What county are you in and were you required to build on pilings? Thanks!
Thank you!

I'm in south Walton. I was not required to build on pilings but I'm across the street from the bay so I wanted to have decent views of the water.

I also like the elevated house layout due to all the storage options, covered parking, etc.

It's the first one I've built, I've learned a lot and know the things I would do differently next time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts