Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Got my wife her first bow last night, and we are planning to hunt deer, but she asked me if we have a chance for some bacon.. well this is only my 2nd time hunting blackwater so if anyone can point us in the right direction. Our whole family would appreciate it, we need meat in the freezer and none of us has ever killed a deer or hog. But me, her, and 2 oof our boys will be trying hard.
Also any tips would help us new bowhunters on tracking etc
Thanks

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
Hey guys,
Got my wife her first bow last night, and we are planning to hunt deer, but she asked me if we have a chance for some bacon.. well this is only my 2nd time hunting blackwater so if anyone can point us in the right direction. Our whole family would appreciate it, we need meat in the freezer and none of us has ever killed a deer or hog. But me, her, and 2 oof our boys will be trying hard.
Thanks
Hogs are there in BW. But they move constantly and it's mostly just luck if they come wandering by your stand. I've seen hog sign south of hwy 4 in the wet areas mostly. But I have yet to "see" an actual hog. Eglin seems to have a higher population of hogs in places.

Even on my lease where I put corn out, the hogs are inconsistant and come and go on an eradic schedule that you will never pin down.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, I've been watching youtube videos, and reading articles.. I just really want her, and the boys to have a positive experience.
Last night when we got home with her new bow our little man (he's 10 and small) asked if he was going to be able to use mom's bow to get a deer and we had him try to pull it.. (36lbs)
Once he realized he couldn't get it and we explaind that he had to pull 35 minimum for florida he went to his room and started lifting his big brothers hand weights so he can bowhunt.. talk about making your chest tight.

·
Super Moderator
19,610 Posts
Best advice I can give you is patience. Bow hunting is one of the hardest and most challenging things to do in the woods. You will make a ton of mistakes, remember and learn from each of them. I wouldn't step foot in the woods without months and months of practice with a bow for a new shooter. That being said it is one of the most rewarding ways to hunt as well. You will quickly appreciate nature a lot more by bow hunting. You owe it to yourself and the animal to be proficient and make logical/ethical shots.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had $400 a person to go do that with.. but looks like fun

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wirelessly posted

PompNewbie said:
Hey guys,
Thanks
Go to Eglin , large population of hog out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts