Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Pigmen of NW Florida!

I was just speaking to a fellow hog hunter in S. Florida who uses a spray of 1/4 veritable oil and fruity candle scents. If I did not see pictures of the hogs knawing on the trees after he sprayed, I would have been skeptical.
I am going to try this on a few trees on my property. I already have feeders, and deer coming out with some nice bucks, but since I had some trees thinned the hogs are sparse now, but will be back and I want to employ as many tactics as I can glean from this forum and other sites to ensure maximum meet gets in the freezer. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Hello Pigmen of NW Florida!

I was just speaking to a fellow hog hunter in S. Florida who uses a spray of 1/4 veritable oil and fruity candle scents. If I did not see pictures of the hogs knawing on the trees after he sprayed, I would have been skeptical.
I am going to try this on a few trees on my property. I already have feeders, and deer coming out with some nice bucks, but since I had some trees thinned the hogs are sparse now, but will be back and I want to employ as many tactics as I can glean from this forum and other sites to ensure maximum meet gets in the freezer. Any advice is appreciated!
whats veritable oil?

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Pitt said:
vegetable?

i heard the same thing about creosote and used motor oil too. never tried any of it.
Used motor oil, brush it on trees near the feed from ground level to 3-4' n the pigs go nuts ....they will literally tear the bark off scratching.

What works great on my property is souring corn, then using a post hole digger and go deep near a tree with the used motor oil..fill it with soured corn, cover the top 12" with soil & sprinkle Kool Aide or any generic fruit punch powder on top....those hogs will make a crater you could drop a keg in.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Used motor oil, brush it on trees near the feed from ground level to 3-4' n the pigs go nuts ....they will literally tear the bark off scratching.

What works great on my property is souring corn, then using a post hole digger and go deep near a tree with the used motor oil..fill it with soured corn, cover the top 12" with soil & sprinkle Kool Aide or any generic fruit punch powder on top....those hogs will make a crater you could drop a keg in.....

How long do you sour the corn for and how long does it take em to dig it up? I have heard several people talk about this but don't know anyone that has personally done it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
jsh1904 said:
How long do you sour the corn for and how long does it take em to dig it up? I have heard several people talk about this but don't know anyone that has personally done it.
Add yeast packets ya get at grocery store and that will speed things up, you will know when it's ready, will bubble and smells very funky. Too long will smell like doggy doo, so in this heat a week or two is fine. As per how long, depends on # of pigs, depth of hole, size of pigs, etc... It will take them a few days on average to get it all. Don't let it sit too long, a can or 2 of beer, Kool aide or sugar helps s well. I use 5 gallon buckets to make mine, easy to transport with lids on. Another trick that drives em nuts, take a 5 gallon bucket with soured corn and fill with water, stopping 3" from top-then drill 2" holes every few inches around the top of bucket and put lid on. Hang from tree 2'-3' off ground with sturdy rope, they go crazy knocking the heck out of the bucket spilling the corn on the ground out of the holes. - ya owe me 6 pack;) Good luck-Clayjunky

·
Registered
751 Posts
here is another no fail recipe:

5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of corn
1/2 gallon milk
1/2 gallon o.j
3pkts of yeast
bottle of maple syrup

combine all in the bucket, let sit in dirrect sun 3 days w/ lid on
dig a hole, pour 1/4 bucket,fill hole a little more,dump 1/2 of what is left inhole,cover completely with dirt,then dump remaining contents of bucket on top.They will dig to China...

dont let the bucket spill in your vehical, you will never get the smell out, it will knock a buzzard off of a shit wagon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts