Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy of mine donated about 200 pounds of pig he killed the other day. it is already quartered, and i have the ribs. now, my question is, where does the bacon come from? also, when making sausage (i have a grinder), do you just mix deer muscle and pig muscle into the grinder, along with whatever else i want to put in there (onions, jalopenos)? help me out! thanks

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
BMH77 (12/1/2008)Most wild hogs do not have enough fat to make bacon.
I agree with the above but just so you know, it's the flank area, from where the ribsstop to where the hindquarters tie in.

4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,137 Posts
aint gonna get any bacon off a wild one, you can get sausage spices from some meat shops or order it out of Cabelas, usually have to get some good fat to mix with it, if you dont , it'll be dry. I like my patty sausage 40/40/20 (40% deer 40% pig and 20% pork fat)

you trying to make link sausage or patty sausage?

4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
link; like i said, i think i got a pretty good idea of how it's done, just want some confirmation from you guys that regularly kill hogs

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Just save it till I come up and I'll discard it for you, lol. I do not belive wild hogs, have enough fat for sausage either, you should have about 30% fat to 70% meat idealy. My boys do not digest fat very well so I mix mine leaner. As for stuffing, I tried something diffrent this year. I bought a seasoning pack from BPS, cheaper than I could buy ingredients to spice it my self. The wife actually likes it and she does not eat deer! Back to the ?, I double grinded my meat, first with the big holes and then with the small one. This seasoning pack had me add water after I had the meat ground up, usually before, but the consistancy was perfect. If I were going to stuff sausage, I would grind it with the medium end on it, add water for moisture, and regrind with th link addapter on there. Depending on the grinder, mine I have to have the grinding tip on there. But deffinetly double grind. just my .02

·
Registered
231 Posts
im pretty sure bacon comes from the belly as for sausage definitely get some store bought fat to mix
I have been making sausage with wild hog and pen-raised hogs for years. First question I would have for you is, is this a boar, bar (male without testes), or a sow? I would not attempt to make any bacon or sausage with a boar. You will not like the results. You may mix deer with pork and some pork fat, or go to the store and buy a couple of Boston butts to bone out and add to your wild hog and the proportions mentioned earlier 40/40/20 are about right. Bacon, can be made if the hog is fat. The description given earlier is correct . It is made from flank meat behind the ribs. I have made it with tame hogs. You must get some sugar cure salt and let it sit in the refrigerator in a large ziplock bag for at least 34 hours and then smoke it. For sausage grind the meat in the aforementioned proportions first with the course grind ( big holes), mix sausage seasoning ( can usually be found in super market) and run it back through the grinder into sausage casings ( if smoking). You will need a sausage stuffer attachment affixed to the grinder. You can also go straight to a sausage stuffer if you have one. I just finished a batch that turned out good. I used a seasoning I got from the supermarket that is supposed to season 25 lbs. I smoked it at 170 degrees for 7 hours in an electric smoker. Hope this helps. Making sausage is like a lot of things. The more you do it, the better you get.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
mr. money,
i've got a couple on deer./hog processing pretty recent. jaster has a good one started. check those out. your post was a good read.
jack

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I too recently started a good q&a thread on self processing. This is very good information even if it has been dredged from the depths. Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts