Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish in colorado, but love reading this forum and need some idea's about kayaking when the waves and water are moving faster than I can peddle my outback. When this happens I get turned sideways to the waves. The rudder does not have much effect. The wave crests are shorter than the length of the yak. The waves are much higher than me. I have yet to be flipped. Right when it looks like the wave is coming in the kayak raises up.
Keep in mind that the wind comes up unexpectedly and quicker than I can make it to the shore. I can't fish in 30mph wind and only want to get out of the water.
As long as I am peddling like crazy and giving the rudder full turns to keep me straight all is well, but, if the kayak goes past like 45degree angle the waves catch me and I lose control until I build up enough speed to turn.
Do you think a small drift sock or sea anchor would help? I think sail boats use them when they can't keep up with waves.
Would the hand paddle work better or in conjunction with rudder to control your direction?

Seems like this situation is similar to making it thru the surf. Timing when to pull the mirage drive and stow the rudder is a nail bitter for sure.
thanks greg

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you don't have the sailing rudder get it. It is much larger than the standard one that comes on the revo or outback and makes a big difference in the steering department.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Dang man, 30mph? That sux lol. Well...you could load up a Penn international with 50lb braid...tie the line to your truck...leave it in freespool while you're paddling...and crank yourself back in. Seriously though, the mirage drive can only push you so fast, same with a paddle. I've found myself in some pretty hairy situations involving swift current, but never with wind over 15-20. I just dont go out if it looks like that. Wind sux with a kayak, I'd rather fish in the rain. Ultimately though, you may want to look into a different yak. The Revo is much more streamlined. I bet it would be a major improvement (w/turbofins), in your situation. You need speed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been caught in high wind conditions before and trying to go downwind back to the beach was hairy. I was doing 6 mph in a PA and the wind gusts would grab me from behind and spin me around sideways. I laid all of my rods down to lessen the wind's ability to grab the back end. That helped but basically I pedaled as fast as I could to keep straight.

A drift sock will help keep you staight but it will take you ten times longer to get where you are going. I would only use it in life or death situation or if wind is dangerous and you are merely riding out the storm and don't want to be pushed furtehr out. Otherwise you will just sap your strength and be in more danger.

Best advice is to know the forecast and avoid those conditions. If too dangerous head to nearest shelter/shore and wait.

Be safe.
Ted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.