Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone in GB or nearby that can let me come over and measure/photo/take a look at your sail rig. I have two yaks I want to set up for sailing, thus my DIY attempt!

I want to get an idea of how much dacron I will need and how it is laid out. Once I get this, I can share my resources and experience with those wishing to tackle this as well. Thanks in advance to those who allow me to check their sail out! I can be reached at 850-221-4874.

Bob

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I have several sails that might work for you without making one from scratch.
I was/am wanting to build a landsailer to run up and down the Johnson beach/Perdido key.
To piss off the authorities I imagine.
Anyways I collected five used sails from windsurfers, hobies on up, to experiment with.
Your welcome to try out what ones you think might work.
Although most might be too big.
Here is a picture with dimensions of what I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daggerboard

I was thinking that the mirage drive system where the blades are pointed down would work well for the daggerboard. I need to go to T&C metals and check out their aluminum tubing stock.

I haven't tried a sail kit in the water yet to determine what if any modifications need to be made. I can see at least a stablizer or two being handy!

I looked at a kit briefly at Key Sailing and it consisted of a two part aluminum mast. The sail was definitely robust. Pretty simple setup. The $350 price tag is way to steep for me though and I have two to build.

Yeah I know, I have two outbacks, why sweat the money? I bought mine used and like DIY projects :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions. I may come and take a look at the sails once I get an idea of what I have to work with. Are you considering selling any of the sails? The land sailer is cool. I remember a friend using his on P'cola beach in the 80's. The parking lot was open in the winters and that rig would scoot! Finding the space to run one would be a chore!

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
idk that the mirage fins are going to work out but they may....you're going to have to be very aware of where you place the mast and how this will affect the sail balance and plan. for safety it needs to have a natural rounding to the wind tendency (hands off all controls and it points the nose to the wind) not sure how that will work out in an outback.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I may come and take a look at the sails once I get an idea of what I have to work with. Are you considering selling any of the sails? The land sailer is cool. I remember a friend using his on P'cola beach in the 80's. The parking lot was open in the winters and that rig would scoot! Finding the space to run one would be a chore!
Bob
I would sell any of them. Especially the two smallest for what I paid for them.
They were not pricey. We have to travel to GB once a month, might be able to meet up then.

My plan is to sail on the beach after a good south blow storm has leveled the beach and the sand is still wet/damp/solid.

Keep an eye on craigslist for a mast. they show up once in a while from various boards and boats.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I have a sail kit for my outback. The mirage drive is fine to use as a dagger board but I didnt notice much of a difference with the fins up vs down. You WILL need outriggers in anything but the lightest breeze. The sail kit is a hoot and in a good wind I can get to around 6 mph which is about as fast as I want to go in an outback.

Im in Navarre if you want to swing by and check it out. I plan on using it this year If I decide its worth it to make a big run off the beach in search of a wahoo if they come in close like last year.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

http://www.kayak.spirithawk.net/sailing.html

Try this out.....$40 delivered, weighs just 2 pounds and rolls up into a small package. Only takes you one way tho.
Might work great for trolling with an east/west wind along the beach.
Or if you plan your trip, paddle into wind first half of trip and deploy when you want to go back at the end of day.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parachute-6-Foot-Diameter-Military-Surplus-Pilot-Parachute-With-Lines-Attached-/111014568944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d8fbe3f0

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply's

JD, I will take you up on that when I get back in town. I figure Hobie put some effort into making the sail usable, so no since in reinventing the wheel. I read about your comments about going after some yahoo later this year. Sounds like a blast. I hope to start heading out to the Navarre area for some offshore fishing this year. I am slowly getting the boat rigged out.

I got called out for a few days OT. So much for 14 off! I kind of figured it would be a challenge sailing such a narrow beamed vessel, but I like a challenge and it looks fun.

I like the parachute idea. I have heard of people using kites to propel themselves along as well. Not often heard of, but interesting. I think I will stick to what I know better. The parachute deal could work, but I wonder how it would stay deployed open if it got wet.

There is an abundance of ideas out there for propulsion with sails, umbrellas, and the sort. I figure if I can find suitable material at T&C, I can make the masts and have most likely enough to outfit two extra yaks. The sail cloth is available on E-bay at a reasonable costs and I have a commercial sewing machine (antique) and my wifes machine(she hates me using it). I post updates on the adventure.

Cheers,

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts