Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching the M-drive... In doing so I am seeking real life experiences from those who run them. I am asking for info on how many miles you have made in the course of a trip. For instance, can a person maintain 2.5-3 knots in an OB or PA over the span of 8-10 hours? What would my increase be if I had a 10 knot tail wind vs. 10 knot head wind... That sort of thing...

What is the furthest any of ya'll have gotten one direction before turning around and how many total hours? What is the furthest offshore anyone has peddled to make it back safely in a day?

TIA,
Brent

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I can peddle 8-10 miles on average in the course of aday and several miles offshore on a calm day. What are you trying to figure out, if you can make it to your bottom spots in a kayak? I know you got some good ones, let me know if you need a fishing partner =)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning a LONG trip and in doing so, I need minimums and maximums to determine a realistic time span to make the trip.

In the mean time I need to acquire an M-drive and train a bunch... I am a troller at heart and bottom bouncer only when I have needed to. I haven't been off shore from the panhandle. I moved up here 4 years ago from the Daytona area... All my "spots" are off shore of there and canaveral.

I will be doing some bottom work with the yak but mostly lookin' for unmarked structure while trolling and drifting.

When I get a yak under me, I will mainly go from Grayton and Santa rosa. I am not able to work a full time job and my wife works at Goat Feathers in SRB so I will go with her nearly every day to fish so I ain't spendin' cash I don't have on gas to launch...

The whole 2 birds with one rock thing... Hope to get to meet others as I get goin'...

I prefer to fish with others most times...

Brent

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the outback and I usually make a 6 to 8 hour trip in all total about4 to10 miles depending how often i stop. I went out to three mile barge off perdido pass not to long back and trolled the wole way there and back and bottomed for awhile. It was about a 6 to 7 hr trip i think and probably about 8 miles in all after trolling the beaches before heading and on return. Still could have gone a few more miles at that plus still had not used the arms to paddle. That was in calm seas half the time then about 2 to 3ft seas for the other half. I kept according to the gps numbers an avg speed of 2.7 mph when i was on the go so its realistic to do what your wanting but itmay be more of a challengeif you do not have leg muscles conditioned for that long distance resistance type exercise.

As for the PA i couldnt tell you...that thing is one fat hog of yak

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have an outback and have found that the energy spent vrs distance and speed is about like walking. The main discomfort is not so much fatigue as it is just sitting so long. My butt gets tired and I want to get up and walk around some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts