Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Striking out on high speed hoo fishing. Is any one having success doing this?
I’m running about 20 mph two lines, bent but 50s, 24 oz cigar lead, 20 ft leader and a wahoo bomb. One about 15 seconds back and one about 20 seconds back. At the edge.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I have caught a lot of Hoo's on high speed lures. Drag setting is crucial.
Purple and black is a good color as well as Pink and black. Wahoo love pink for some reason. I used to pull a pink stretch 30 a lot. I still have one and it is covered in teeth marks.

·
Registered
Gamefish 25
329 Posts
Striking out on high speed hoo fishing. Is any one having success doing this?
I’m running about 20 mph two lines, bent but 50s, 24 oz cigar lead, 20 ft leader and a wahoo bomb. One about 15 seconds back and one about 20 seconds back. At the edge.
Here's what I have learned about high speed trolling for hoos.
1) It's extremely successful when hoos are around in good numbers.
2) On a good day you will catch a couple hoos and ONLY hoos as nothing else will typically want to chase a bait that fast.

I have had better hoo success by catching them on accident while trolling Islanders, Tuna Feathers, or Chuggers on my outriggers for dolphin and kings and sending out a Cowbell (16oz or bigger) straight off the back of the boat (about 20 seconds back) on a bent butt rig for the occasional angry hoo. I run about 7 knots for the Dolphin and King and that cowbell brings the occasional hoo. Caught a few trolling that way moving SW from the Oriskany to about halfway between it and the Avocet then turn NW directly towards the Avocet. Try to stay in water in the 250-300 range and watch for birds, flying fish, weed lines etc. GO OFF ROUTE AND GO TO THOSE THINGS WHEN YOU SEE THEM. I haven't caught monsters or large numbers, but 2-3 as by catches during the year is fine by me. Actually, the biggest hoo ever to hit the deck in my boat (about 42lbs) was caught by my buddy dragging a blue and white islander about 7 knots with bonito belly on it about a half mile past the last bouys going out of P-Cola pass. Definitely an anomaly, but it happens. It's rare, but happens.

See the route below. It's clearer when you open the image.

Ecoregion Map Product World Font

·
Registered
Gamefish 25
329 Posts
I have caught a lot of Hoo's on high speed lures. Drag setting is crucial.
Purple and black is a good color as well as Pink and black. Wahoo love pink for some reason. I used to pull a pink stretch 30 a lot. I still have one and it is covered in teeth marks.
Agree on the colors. I have a 16oz pink and chrome cowbell that has proven effective. I am hung up on blue and white and have been since fishing the Atlantic side out of South Carolina. However, Purple and Black, and anything with Pink in it has been good to me since I started fishing the Gulf.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
No expert by even a small margin but in my limited experience, wahoo fishing seemed to be more tied to water temperature and color over bait color.
we rarely did the high speed thing but did catch a few when we did.
I want to say clean 74 degrees and a mark of bait was the ticket for us. When we found them, they ate anything in our spread: stretch, nomads, etc of all colors but we always dragged pink, purple, and black.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts