Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all; been lurking and not posting till now. Did everyone have to make a new name when the board transfered to this site? Anyways seems like starting over again.

Well here is my problem, I have a Suzuki DF140 with issues. The max RPM I am getting is 4000. The RPM degraded over the past couple trips. Used to max out around 6K and 32 MPH today it was 4k and 12 MPH. With it being rough in the bay I was cusing at the motor and hoping to get back. Who locally in Pensacola or Ft. Walton does warrenty work on the Suzuki?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Check to make sure you didnt do what some other idiot :doh did and make sure you havent pinched one of your coil wires with the cowling.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Lou's in Gulf Breeze also. They have been the local Suzzy dealer for as long as I can remember. Mine have never been in a shop.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
sounds like a fuel issue. plugged filters or a plugged pick up in the tank. get an external tank and hose and try that. if there is a filter on the motor itself it could be plugged or full of water not allowing the fuel to pass through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to add a bit more info to the puzzle. When I raise the motor up and the prop is just a bit in the water, it will run like a bat out of hell. Max out the RPMs I have just done this for a sec for trouble shooting. I have trimmed the motor in every possible postion it does not help. Once the prop is in the water the RPMs degrade. Yesterday I went towards Pickens cruising at 5K RPM and by the time the day was done I was at 3.8K max. This is with the trottle at the fire wall. Any guesses?I think I will either take it to Lou's or Doc's. Thanks again

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey freespool. im spino

you dont kno me, but i was fishing on the peir sunday and i saw you jack up that king.im not so good at catching em. everytime i spot a king and it goes for my bait,it hits it and it usaullay cuts my bait in half. im not sure wat to do. maybe its the rigs im using.i dont kno how to make a king rig.no one has ever showed me.i usaully go to gb bait and tackle and get king rigs,the ones that are like3ft long with a regular j-hook,then about 5inches down a treble hook....but they just aint cuttin it. so any tips or advice would help me alot. maybe you can show me how to make home-made king rigs.ive never caught a king before and i cant wait till i do.so, if you can..help me out.

thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
does the problem happen as soon as you crank the motor or once the motor is warmed up ?

if so alot of times when the motors warm up it could be a intermeting firing problem(stator ?)

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Sounds like a spun hub to me,seen it a thousand times. Before running down to the dealer,run the prop over to the Prop shop or Accuprop and get that checked first. It's free and will save ya some time waiting on the dealer to diagnose a problem with an engine that may have nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
After reading the replys to this subject, I would make a short list of people to take advise from.
Obviously, it's a fuel problem, engines don't run on air alone.</DIV>If you continue to run the motor at WOT & low rpm you will burn a piston as the fuel helps to cool a 2 cycle engine. When you lean out the mixture, something's going to melt.</DIV></DIV>Just my 2 cents worth.............woody</DIV>

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
bonita dan (11/13/2007)Sounds like a spun hub to me,seen it a thousand times. Before running down to the dealer,run the prop over to the Prop shop or Accuprop and get that checked first. It's free and will save ya some time waiting on the dealer to diagnose a problem with an engine that may have nothing wrong with it.
A spun hub would cause just the opposite, High RPM , no speed. It's either ignition or fuel. If it's fuel and you continue to run it you are on borrowed time. Becuase of the last bit of info about trimming it out of the water. I would bet on fuel. For what it's worth that wasn't a good idea. By taking the load of the prop, your motor could have grenaded. Take it in soon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got a pair of 225 Suzukis and had a similar problem. After changing Racor's I changed the secondary filter just inside the engine cowling (right in front on the 225 with a white plastic bowl you can see the fuel in). Still same problem, runs like a top until about 4k rpm, so I talked to a service tech and he told me to go into the electric fuel pump housing and sure enough it was a small filter like piecein there that was clogged, ordered a new one at about $100 and problem solved. I can't remember the name of the part but if you like I can look it up for you

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Yea Bill,your right. I must have missed the degrading rpm thing somehow:banghead Damn I need to start wearing those stupid glasses when reading. Thought he said degrading speed. Sorry for the bad info man. Also,isn't a DF140 a four stroker model?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup the DF140 is a 4 banger. I did drop it off at Lou's today. The are guessing fuel too but have not looked at it. Also I only trimmed it up for a sec for troubleshooting. So its at the shop and I will let you know what they find. Thanks all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts