Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and pretty new to fishing the area. Some friends and I are camping at Johnson Beach this weekend, and while I've camped there once or twice a year for the past 6 years or so, I've never really fished it much. So any advice would be appreciated. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

We're going to camp at the designated area 1/2 mile from the end of the road. Drop the kayaks on the lagoon side early mornings , maybe troll for some spanish mackerel and stop every now and then to fish the grass beds for reds and specks. We're going to be working our way towards the fort. When we get to the fort we'll try fishing around there and in the channel.

I was thinking spoons and got-cha's for trolling. Is it worthwhile trolling in the lagoon? For the speckled trout and redfish I'll be throwing a spoon, speck rigs, artificial whatnots, etc. I will also be bringing some shrimp. I'd love to try for flounder in the area, any suggestions where? I'll also be trying for pompano with sand fleas and shrimp, and I may pick up some jigs.

So any suggestions? I guess my main target would be flounder, pompano, and spanish mackerel. I can catch trout and redfish all day 45 minutes from my house, and I know how to fish them. I'm kinda looking for something I don't catch at home.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent advice, exactly what I was looking for! I'll pick up a few dusters when I get to FL. Which colors do you think work best? I may pick up some cigar minnows when I get there as well. Thanks!

Also, I'm guessing gold spoons work as well for redfish out there as they do back home, but if not I have a few other tricks up my sleeve.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts