Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and pretty new to fishing the area. Some friends and I are camping at Johnson Beach this weekend, and while I've camped there once or twice a year for the past 6 years or so, I've never really fished it much. So any advice would be appreciated. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

We're going to camp at the designated area 1/2 mile from the end of the road. Drop the kayaks on the lagoon side early mornings , maybe troll for some spanish mackerel and stop every now and then to fish the grass beds for reds and specks. We're going to be working our way towards the fort. When we get to the fort we'll try fishing around there and in the channel.

I was thinking spoons and got-cha's for trolling. Is it worthwhile trolling in the lagoon? For the speckled trout and redfish I'll be throwing a spoon, speck rigs, artificial whatnots, etc. I will also be bringing some shrimp. I'd love to try for flounder in the area, any suggestions where? I'll also be trying for pompano with sand fleas and shrimp, and I may pick up some jigs.

So any suggestions? I guess my main target would be flounder, pompano, and spanish mackerel. I can catch trout and redfish all day 45 minutes from my house, and I know how to fish them. I'm kinda looking for something I don't catch at home.

Thanks!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I fish there every week and personally with the weather being nice the next few days I would drop the yaks in the Gulf and troll the second sandbar for Spanish. You'll catch many more there than in the ICW. That's all I catch when trolling JB. For trolling just tie on a stinger rig or one with a duster and troll frozen cigar minnows. haven't been out and not caught one using this method. have had no luch with gotchas while trolling. Given what I have learned the past few months this is what I recommend:

Hit the ICW side flats for Reds and Specks early morning. Then troll the Gulf for Spanish during the rest of the day. Then hit the beds again about 2 hours before sunset. I have found because the Gulf is deeper, the fish still nite mid day vice the flats since it's rather shallow and hot during mid day. Waves are supposed to be flat the next 4 days at JB so should be good to hit the Gulf if you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent advice, exactly what I was looking for! I'll pick up a few dusters when I get to FL. Which colors do you think work best? I may pick up some cigar minnows when I get there as well. Thanks!

Also, I'm guessing gold spoons work as well for redfish out there as they do back home, but if not I have a few other tricks up my sleeve.

·
Registered
716 Posts
He uses pink ones but really not sure if the color matters. Just something more than a cigar minnow to attract their attention.

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,420 Posts
May I suggest a super spook jr top water lure for your flats action. IMO nothing quite compares to top water redfish and trout. Plus it's easy to avoid vegetation on the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts