Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a cheap aluminum Turning Point prop and hub kit. Has worked well for years. She was getting a little dinged up and I replaced the prop and hub a few weeks back. I went a few days ago and hopped up on plane no problem, but about 30 seconds in I got horrible engine vibration / cavitation / slipping... not exactly sure how to describe. I could run around at 6-7 miles an hour, but anything more than essentially idle it would start to slip and vibrate. Didn't sound good. I assumed prop or hub issue even though I didn't see any obvious damage. I first removed and reinstalled the prop. No change. Today I bought a new hub and prop and thought I had it solved, but after about 45 seconds on plane the same things happened. I'm not a mechanic, but it doesn't seem to be electrical / fuel related.

Any thoughts on next steps? I imagine I'll end up dropping it off with somebody, but was hoping to not lose the boat for the next 3 weeks.

In the video below i'm idling along at 4-5mph and try to thottle up.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Is your oil pump in your big oil tank working? Just shooting in the dark here. A friend had a Yamaha and his oil transfer pump in his big tank quit filling the small tank on his motor. When the small tank got to a certain level the motor would go into a "limp" mode. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I have a hard time believing it is a prop issue with two identical brand new props.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah...I'm not suggesting at this point that it's a prop or hub issue. That was just my initial thought and it was the thing on the boat that changed most recently. I think it's ruled out at this point. It's most likely not a problem I'm gonna solve in my driveway, but I thought I'd toss it out there and see if anybody can point me in a good direction.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
On my buddies boat we would top off the engine mounted tank and it ran fine for a while. We would just top it off every little while and it got us home. Good luck and report back once you figure it out.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,975 Posts
The 90 has a single oil tank. That sound reminds me of what the lower unit does when you shut off ignition while still in gear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to work this morning, but I'm wondering now if this could be related to fuel delivery. I did change the fuel / water separator and, in hindsight, this was the first trip out afterwards. I wonder if it ran good for 30-40 seconds each time because I had just primed it good and fuel wasn't an issue. Could air in the line or loss of prime cause the outboard to act as described?

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,975 Posts
As a internet guess, no on the fuel. When that motor, I have one, gets a fuel starvation/lean problem it sneezes then dies.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,073 Posts
^^^I agree ^^^ doesn't sound like a fuel starve issue.
As a guess, kinda sounds like crossed plug wires or premature ignition (spark), maybe a busted magnet?
Just out of curiosity, have you checked the compression? Just to eliminate a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
^^^I agree ^^^ doesn't sound like a fuel starve issue.
As a guess, kinda sounds like crossed plug wires or premature ignition (spark), maybe a busted magnet?
Just out of curiosity, have you checked the compression? Just to eliminate a bad head gasket.
Good idea. I think most auto parts stores have compression gauges to loan out. I would do that my self before taking it to a shop just to get a baseline.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,975 Posts
Wahoo, just throwing this out there for a cheap, quick fix.

You did reinstall 17,18 and 19 didn't you?

ETA, if 17 wasn't installed I think the prop would be in the case.

prop.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts