Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a place to hunt muzzleloader through antlerless this year. I dont have anywhere to go and was hoping to find someone to help me out with a place. I was also thinking of hunting a WMA but have never done it before, so it would be great if someone could help me through the process. I live in the Pace/Milton area.

I hunt from a climber or ground blind, and will be hunting for deer and turkey this year. I would enjoy hunting with someone on private land, but would also not mind finding someone to educate me on the WMA hunting process. I just enjoy being outdoors and hunting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I am still confused on some things that I have been reading about WMA's.

It says I need a quota permit to hunt a WMA, is that included in the Sportsmans license?
Do I need to schedule a hunt ona WMA? If not, do you just wonder onto the land and hunt where you wish?
Is there any limitations as to how you hunt on a WMA (stalking, type of stand, etc..)?
What is 500 square inches of daylight fluorescent-orange? Hat? Vest?

I am trying to get all this info together before I wander out and become a headline on the Pensacola News Journal for doing something stupid.

·
Registered
782 Posts
quota's are drawn on a first come first serve basis, you can apply june 1sti think. alot are already full.i do recommend checking out eglin afb.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You can still hunt Blackwater for Archery, Muzzleloader, and the late Arch/muzz season. Some parts of the rifle season, too. You just have to check the regs for the particular dates. Blackwater's a great place to hunt, lots of deer out there.

·
Super Moderator
28,502 Posts
No you can hunt Blackwater, just not during the Quota Hunt...and the orange is a vest most of those meet the requirements...

·
Registered
380 Posts
WillHunt4Food (11/4/2007)Ok, I am still confused on some things that I have been reading about WMA's.

It says I need a quota permit to hunt a WMA, is that included in the Sportsmans license?

Do I need to schedule a hunt ona WMA? If not, do you just wonder onto the land and hunt where you wish?

Is there any limitations as to how you hunt on a WMA (stalking, type of stand, etc..)?

What is 500 square inches of daylight fluorescent-orange? Hat? Vest?

I am trying to get all this info together before I wander out and become a headline on the Pensacola News Journal for doing something stupid.

It varies from place to place, but for Blackwater you can access the property from wherever you want. You can hunt however you want, but I wouldn't recommend stalking during rifle season, good chance of walking up on someone else. And for the orange, just a vest will make you legal.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, great info guys. This can all get confusing trying to read the regulations. I am hoping to get out there on opening day of muzzleloader.

How is the turkey population out there?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
WillHunt4Food (11/4/2007)I am looking for a place to hunt muzzleloader through antlerless this year.
Okay, just wanted to verify you weren't thinking about taking antlerless deer with a muzzle loader. I always thought you could until I got a muzzle loader last year and found out you couldn't. I don't think thats what you were saying, but just wanted to make sure.

I really don't know much about blackwater or eglin. I hunt private land over in Washington county. However, I drive through the middle of Eglin everyday on my commute to work. Man, I've seen it all out there. I've seen more dead hogs on the side of the road than I've seen running in the woods. At night, I'm surprised you don't have more accidents. I've think I've seen 50 deer crossing the road at night. Also seen bears and turkey. Don't know anything about Eglin hunting other than that nor have I heard anything bad about Eglin, but I think from what I've seen I would recommend Eglin to anyone looking at public land.

Jackson Gaurd is who you have to call about info on hunting eglin.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I was referring to the antlerless season. I know the rules pertaining to "legal to take", need that 5 inches.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The antlerless season is only for a week and it pertains to private land only. You cannot take an antlerless deer in Blackwater except during archery season or the special quota hunt in the Field Trial area for one weekend. Shoot me a PM with your contact information and I'll get a quota permit to you for the still hunting season on Blackwater.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts