Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have been catching flounder on rod and reel for over forty years around here. Take a 5/8oz - 3/4oz pompano jig and tip the back of it with a strip of fresh mullet, pinfish, croaker, etc.... The strip needs to be about the size of your middle finger. Toss around stucture, (Garcon pier pilings real good right now), and just shake the jig back to you at an angle where the jig will stay on the bottom. Many times you want feel a bite, but the jig will feel heavy. When you feel this, wait a few seconds and set the hook. Note: it is harder to keep the jig on bottom with braided line because it does not sink as well as mono.
How do you set the hook on a flounder?

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Wife got this one near catfish basin saturday had a couple more we lost at the boat ...
They were hiting gulp shrimp and rattle traps..

jd I was thinking the same thing when I read porpoise lol.
Sorry, caught a few ON PURPOSE.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,847 Posts
There around any kind of structure in the bays and intercoastal. Use a light 1/2 to 3/4 oz. egg sinker for a carolina rig with live bait and slowly drag and bump the bottom. If it feels like you just got hung up wait a minute. Slowly lift the rod tip and feel if anything pulls back. If it does wait a few seconds longer before setting the hook. Flounder can swim away with the bait and just hold it before swallowing.

I like bull minnows the best followed by finger mullet.

If you're using jigs and plastics just slowly drag and bump the bottom.

You will catch them somwhere..! When you do there are usually more real close by.

+1:yes:
Could not have said it better myself!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Man,
I,m by no means an expert but like several of the previous posts,they will mash a jig !!!!For the past several years ,my brothers and I have been
making a trip down to pensacola beach and my favorite flounder set up is
3/8 - 3/4 oz. jighead with either a zoom super fluke or a berkely gulp minnow
threaded onto it,If the tide is,nt too stiff go with the lighter jighead,I like to pitch it around bridge/pier pilings or open spots in the grass and just slowly bounce it back,the strike is very much like that of a bass hitting a plastic worm.let your rod load up a little then 'lay the smack down on him','ram home the steel','give him the hammerlock','cross his eyes',or just simply set the hook! 61/2 -7 ft rod and 12-15 lb test and you should be okay.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have caught hundreds of flounder using a pomp jig and strip. That is about all I use. The best strip is a piece of Flounder belly. When I filet a flounder, I cut down the middle of the back. Take 2 filet off . Turn over to white side and do the same. You will notice some flesh and skin where the fin was attached.Cut this strip off and cut into about 2-3 " lengths. Put in ziplock bag and put in freezer. Take with you on next fishing trip.It is tough and not easy for trash fish to take off. I have also used the bottom of skate or ray.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Man,
I,m by no means an expert but like several of the previous posts,they will mash a jig !!!!For the past several years ,my brothers and I have been
making a trip down to pensacola beach and my favorite flounder set up is
3/8 - 3/4 oz. jighead with either a zoom super fluke or a berkely gulp minnow
threaded onto it,If the tide is,nt too stiff go with the lighter jighead,I like to pitch it around bridge/pier pilings or open spots in the grass and just slowly bounce it back,the strike is very much like that of a bass hitting a plastic worm.let your rod load up a little then 'lay the smack down on him','ram home the steel','give him the hammerlock','cross his eyes',or just simply set the hook! 61/2 -7 ft rod and 12-15 lb test and you should be okay.
what he said. if you pop him good, he won't come off. even if i lift and feel him swim, i still pop him. once the hook is thru his face he is a had lad. that flounderfanatic jig looks kind of interesting though

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow, all these posts and haven't seen the rig I use which slays em. I use 30lb power pro line with a carolina rig with 30lb red mono leader tied to a Kahle hook. I usually use finger mullet if I have time to net them, followed by bull minnows followed by shrimp. Everything LIVE, however, when it's hot, they'll hit about anything. I have done some damage on the chartreuse gulps put on the same rig. With that kahle hook i never set the hook. I simply drag until it "hangs up." Then I slowly lift them up, but don't reel them until I feel the first jerk back. Once that happens, you can bet it's through that hard jaw and you can sling em in the boat. I often fish by myself and only net them when they get over 18" for fear I'd be sick IF they fell off.

They're right though, when you catch one, hang in there, there's usually more.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts