Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Gulf Breeze and really want to get into kayak fishing. I have alot of fishing experience but not that much in this area. I currently have a 12' sit in recreational kayak that just cant handle the surf or choppy water where I want to fish so I am looking to upgrade. I really like Hobies but they are just so expensive! What kayaks would you guys reccomend for this area? Also I am trying to figure out what type of fishing is good during different times of the year. Any tips? Any info would be really helpfull! Thanks in advance!

·
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
940 Posts
Hobies are worth every penny you pay but if you want something cheaper there are several good cheap kayak such as perception pescador from academy really stable and decent price also any ocean kayak are good scrambler scrambler xt or the wilderness kayak all good kayak and mostly all under 1000 dollars stay away from pelican good kayak but easily tipped. Also go check out gulf coast kayak fishing assiociation there web site can help you and you also should come to the meeting were having everyone there can point you in the right direction!

Chase

·
2019 Hobie outback
2,674 Posts
Hobies are worth every penny you pay but if you want something cheaper there are several good cheap kayak such as perception pescador from academy really stable and decent price also any ocean kayak are good scrambler scrambler xt or the wilderness kayak all good kayak and mostly all under 1000 dollars stay away from pelican good kayak but easily tipped. Also go check out gulf coast kayak fishing assiociation there web site can help you and you also should come to the meeting were having everyone there can point you in the right direction!

Chase
+1 check for a used hobies

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like Wilderness Tarpon for a sit on top. Many people like Hobies here but I wanted something cheaper for my first kayak and I love it.
Right now under 3 mile bridge is good at night, Naval Live Oaks is good on the grass flats for Reds, Flounder and Specks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not an authority on yaks but have heard the Sport Fisher is extremely stable in calm water. Gota link that has reviews on most. Like I said, not an expert, just my 2 cents worth. :)

·
healthinspector
1,662 Posts
eassy with all the hobie guys on this forum ahahaha paddleing is the way to go. cant beat an ocean kayak my friend. welcome to the forum

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I have an ocean kayak trident 13 I love it I want to eventually get a hobie but just isnt the best time for me financially . anyway im very happy with the trident got a great deal on it here in the forum . Even if I ended up getting a hobie I will still keep this one good luck on your search and keep checking here and on craigslist something will come up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips, the info really helps. I'm stuck in Texas for a few more weeks but I can't wait to get back. What kind of fishing will be best this fall?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hobie's are so good that just cruising around in one will attract fish... I've had them jump in the yak with me.. for reals
Half the time I have to turn off that fish jumping in the yak feature - I limit out too quickly with it on. You mean there are some yakkers still using rods and reels?:001_huh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts