Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Atlanta and have a boat near Perdido Key. I have been fishing out of Pensacola Pass for three years now and have caught everything except a grouper. I am coming down Memorial Day weekend and want to finally be able to cross catching one off my bucket list. Can anyone tell me the best setup and bait and where they are this time of year? Any chance there will be in as close as the Antarres or will I have to go a little deeper? Any expertise that you can pass on to me would be greatly appreciated! I have done mostly vertical jigging in the last year and have fallen in love with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My set up:

6/0 or better

braid (50-60 lb)

egg weight dependent on the current and depth (6-12 oz)

bead (to protect the knot on the swivel

swivel

wing span of floro (test dep on fish) 30-50

circle hook, demons are good

live bait hooked in the back. If you dont have a live well to load up on in the am just fish them off the spot with lighter tackle and squid. If the live bait cant get a good bite going, try to butterfly one and send it down. I can get a hit with a butterflied bait when they wont hit a live for some reason. Maybe it is the chunks of flesh flopping aroung and it is self chumming.

Send it to the bottom and then reel it up a couple cranks and then be patient and be ready.

As far as location of them right now, I am not possitive. Haven't been much this season yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts