Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Would you be so kind to help me choose what fishing baits/lures I need to use? Here is the scenario...

What I will be fishing with:

- E 21 Carrot Stix Spinning Rod:

Model: CLTX671M-S

Lenght: 6? 7?

Action: Medium-Fast

Power: Medium

Lure Weight (oz): 3/16-5/8

Line Weight: 2-8lb.

- Shimano Sonora FB Spinning Reel:

Model: SON1000FB

Line Retrieve Per Crank (in.): 28

Line Capacity (# Test/Yards): 2/270, 4/140, 6/110

Power Pro Line Capacity (# Test/Yards): 10/95, 15/85, 20/65

Max Drag (lbs.): 7

Ball Bearings: 4

Roller Bearings: 1

Gear Ratio: 6.2:1

Weight (oz): 7.7

- Spiderwire Ultracast Invisi-Braid (Translucent) Fishing Line:

Model No.: SU8IB-125 (1133271)

Description: Translucent 8 Lb. Test

Diam. Comp to Mono: 1.5 lb.
Where/What/When I will be fishing:

- Most of the time freshwater mountain rivers (sometimes rocky and fast stream, sometimes reverse). Rivers are 15-25 feet wide.

- I would always use a pole with earth worms, but my goal is now to get into spinning with no life baits.

- I don't go for the large fish. Usually I catch approximately 10" fish in the river. I am more then happy with it.

- I live and fish in California (what ever is close to Los Angeles). Usually in the summer, or just when ever it is a good enough weather to camp with my friends.

- I don't go for any kind of specific fish. As long as it can be called a fish and is approximately 10" long. There is a river though where I mainly fish where a lot of rainbow (for the most part) and other kinds of trout is, I also heard of some largemouth and smallmouth bass. Since I am a beginner though, I'd like my bait/lures to be more or less of a universal type so I can just experience and fish what ever with it.

I have no idea of what weights I am going to need my kind of fish (10" long fish)! Would you be so kind to give me a link to baits/lures on www.histackleboxshop.com with the color and weight/size I should get?

I am going to buy my gear from that website and that's why I would like to buy my lures/baits from the same one, but I don't mind buying something from another website if you really think it would be a better choice.

By the way, I was researching and I came up to an opinion that:

- I like top water buzz and spinner baits, I would also experiment with swimbaits, plastic worms and plastic grubs.

- I DON'T like crankbaits, but I guess I could get a couple of cheap ones to experiment with.

I have $30-$50 to spend on the above mentioned.

What do you guys think?

I really appreciate every bodies help, answers, and suggestions!

Thanks,

Ervand

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I'd hit a local bait and tackle shop and see what they can offer...

I know in Pensacola (Gulf Breeze to be exact) you can get that same Carrot Stix rod for the same price as online and those guys can set you up w/ a similar reel as well AND you'll be spending money in YOUR local economy...

Big boxes and websites will save you a little money, but you'll spend a lot of wasted time trying out stuff that doesn't work...

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Closest tackle shop is 50 miles away. Guys in Big5 and other sport stores know nothing about fishing, I've been there talking to them. After all websites have a lot more stuff with a lot more variations to it. I really have no choice!

So anyone?

·
Registered
337 Posts
need some more specifics on thetype of water.... rivers and lakes fish different. buzz baits are early morning and overcast baits but fish easy cast the bait and just before it lands you can start reeling with your rod tip at about a 10 -11 oclock position. spinners baits would be a good bait to use as a starter as well ... and when your fishing with them. when in doubtset the hook. sometimes youll hang up but youll miss less fish. try 1/4 oz spinnersand buzz baits with the skirts trimmed short just past the hook andyou can add a white curl tail grub.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would use small Mhepps spinners or small spoons as small as possible. If you go back to live bait use periwinkles. Stone fly larve , you can find them attached to rocks in the river. They make a shell out of small gravel glued together. Just pull them out of the shell and hook,em up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BILL_MONEY (10/26/2009)need some more specifics on thetype of water....

you can add a white curl tail grub.
I really don't know what else I can mention on the type of water I am fishing with. Check out the first post and let me know what else I can add.

and what size grubs should I use? 1", 2", 3"?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
keywest18.6 (10/27/2009)I would use small Mhepps spinners or small spoons as small as possible.
Thanks! That was useful, but how small is small?

Is 1/2 oz small? 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/16, 1/4?

Is it 1", 2", or 3" for grubs?

Is 5" plastic earth worms too long?

·
Registered
337 Posts
keywest nailed it ... mepps spinners are the ticket ... id say around 1/8 to 1/16 oz.... even up to 1/4 oz..... if there are bass the spinner bait with 3" grub is my favorite ... hank parker spinner bait is my favorite wade fishing bait..... catch 8" to 3 pound bass in 3" deep creeks around here.... wade up river and cast to any structure... ie boulders blocking the water.... or layed down trees... holes you cant see into... through up currect just past the obstruction and crank the kure just fast enough to keep the blade spinning in the current wich can be pretty fast in a fast creek/river...... and hang on ... when fish strike in fast currets it intensifies their strength because of the current..... this can be way more fun than from a boat .... a 2 pound fish in heavy current feels like he's 10 pounds... the mepps baits i like were the natural buck tails with a treble hook but they can get snagged pretty easy so be careful to watch or snags.....a small stick bait like a rappala in original silver floating should also work well....... same idea as with the spinners with the exception of being able to through it in a slack pool or eddie and being able to (twich) it ..... cast it ... let it sit for a second like a dead moinnow and pop the rod tip... this will make it dive momentarily like a injured fish and then pop back up... i live to alternate between the twitching and steady retrieve alowing it to simulate a injured minow on the move to give the fish less time to study the bait and intice a reaction strike....... of you in the LA area there are some fenominal bass lakes in and around there thay are expected to produce the next world record large mouth !!

good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts