Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have been doing a lot of research on this site and hulltruth.com to decide which boat would be best to purchase for my needs. I am in the market for a 20-23 ft CC. I can't decide to spend between 20-30K on a Mako (Old Model), Old SeaCraft (Old Model), newer Contender, newer Regulator, newer Grady....or spend between 10-20K on a newer KenCraft, Palm Coast, Cape Horn. Is it worth it to spend more on the better quality boat? Or should I just purchase a more expensive one after a couple years after I have gained more experience. Also, should I plan on getting a 22-23 boat so I don't get the itch to upgrade after purchasing a 20 ft boat. I will be fishing both inshore and offshore. I am a pilot, so I will only be in Pensacola for 3 yrs, and will most likely end up in San Diego or Jacksonville, where I am guessing the boat will still be good for the fishing in those locations. I have fished on my father's Grady 222 Fisherman for the last 8 years so I am kind of partial to that as of now. Thank You!:notworthy::notworthy:

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Look at the new Dusky. They are still made like the old Mako, and are an extremely stable boat. The Cape Horns are good as well. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

·
IT'S ALL GOOD !
1,352 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Get what you like and can afford. I think anything in the size range you are looking for should be fine in this area

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
So much depends on the type of usage that you intend. Is it going to be a family boat or a hard core fishing machine? I would hedge toward the 23 ft. range; because you are talking about the Atlantic and Pacific, plus they are just more comfortable and you will appreciate the additional space. Unless you overnight or have the family out a lot, personally, I would avoid the cuddys. They have a lot more weight and also eat up usable fishing space.

·
Registered
158 Posts
CC vs Cuddy

I would not be in such a hurry to pick a CC over a Cuddy. Yes, the CC can fish more people, easy access to the anchor, a little lighter, etc. I have a place in San Diego and Pensacola and fish both of them a lot. If you fish on nice, calm days then the CC wins. If you fish with more than 3 people then CC wins. If you get caught out in a downpour, 4+ gulf chop, hot sun, etc. you will want a Cuddy. My buddy in San Diego bought a 208 Grady Adventure and thanks me each trip offshore that I told him to get a cuddy. A cobia tower on a cuddy with a hardtop is easy to do. I have a 2301 Seaswirl cuddy and love it for how I fish but I don't usually have more than 3 people on board. I fish often on my buddies 257 Grady CC and 26 Dusky CC and we get very wet when the wind blows and the chop comes up.

The motor is also a major consideration. I won't have anything but a Yamaha after 50 years of experience with all kinds of boats. The old 2 cycles are bullet proof but noisy and use more fuel especially while trolling. The 4 cycles are quiet and trouble free. Good luck getting a Contender, Regulator, or Grady with a decent engine in your price range. 23/24 is a great all around length.

Bob

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
There are too many what if's to answer this question. Your best bet is go to a boat show and look at the boats and ask questions to the reps Don't be pressured on any one boat at the boat show. I'd like the commit made quality and resale of the boat. Also, going to a boat show doesn't mean to buy new. It's to get you looking at the boats you like. The used market is filled with them. Last thing don't be afraid to travel to look at a boat. I went to Mississippi to bought my Mako. Good luck. Keep us updated.
WhyMe
Mako My Dayo

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
There's a man on FL Sportsman Northwest Forum who has a very nice Grady for sale. I don't know what he is asking. He just said he was going to sell it a couple of days ago. His forum name is Mullet.

·
Registered
870 Posts
1. Figure out your true price you'll pay
2. Bigger is always better
3. No way I'd every tell someone in the military to buy new giving you are moving
4. Make sure having a good motor is a priority
5. How many guys will you fish at a time? Not all CC's have more "fishing" room. I'm more a CC guy but I've fished some 28-31 ft CC's that have pathetic rear decks where only 2-3 guys can truly bottom fish comfortably

·
Fish Alot Catch None
1,142 Posts
Do not buy a boat. It is a trap! Spend the money on top of the line gear such as Tiagras or internationals. Offer to buy the bait, food, beer and more than your share of the fuel cost. Then let the boat owners come to you. You will come out cheaper in the long run.

B.O.A.T.= Break, Out, Another, Thousand!!

Boat- A hole in the water to pure money into!!!

Advice from a boat owner.

·
Super Moderator
28,635 Posts
I highly recommend you go with a catamaran
X2

Cats are wide and stable, also good fer skinny water!

it really all depends on your useage......how much will you fish/pleasure w/family and friends. Your most targeted species of fish, and of course your budget. Like others have mentioned I would target a used sled for the most bang fer your buck!

Also welcome aboard and whatever decision you choose, you must (I REPEAT MUST) post pictures of your sled!!!!:yes::thumbsup::yes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the responses guys! Right now I am still in school up in MD so any purchase down in Florida unfeasible. I am looking at these two as of now. I feel that I should probably go cheaper for my first boat, and then upgrade when I feel more comfortable with maintaining it on my own. Here are the ads. The Palm Beach is 10 min away from me, and the Cape Horn is 6+ hrs away, and the mako is 10 min away. The Palm Beach also has about 600 hrs on the engine. Part of me just wants to buy the 17' Mako and put a new engine on it so I know it will be trouble free. What are your thoughts?...Just for fun, I stumbled across this Mako which looked like a steal but the guy said it sold in less than 48 hours. FYI i will be fishing out of Annapolis, MD until October so the Mako will work for now until I want to upgrade.

Mako 17'
https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/4907995939.html

Palm Beach 20'
https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/4884967983.html

Cape Horn 20'
http://www.anglersmarinenc.com/boat-info/specs/1990-cape-horn-21

Mako that sold in 48 hrs
https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/4886162035.html

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you have the opportunity to either test drive or ride on some of the options, that will narrow your decision down dramatically. Being partial to one boat because you've been on it a while doesn't necessarily mean that something different is better. I upgraded from a 21CC with a yami 150 to a Robalo 24 Cuddy with twin 250's. Best thing is do more research.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts