Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a Go Pro Hero 4. I am not really camera savy but want something I can take in the water with me. What is the real differences in the Silver and Black go pro? I have ready several reviews but I do not see where there is enough difference in the silver and black to make me want to spend the extra 100.

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
You know, depending on what features you are looking for, there are currently 3 good GoPro options....

The NEW GoPro HERO, an entry-level Camera, Filming video in 1080p30 / 720p60 fps, still pictures in 5MP / 5 fps Burst, and waterproof to 131’- all in a simplified experience that’s easy for everyone- at a mere $130.00 (list price).

The GoPro HERO4 Silver Features 1080p60 and 720p120 video, 12MP photos up to 30 frames per second, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth®, and Protune™ for photos and video. Waterproof to 131’ (40m). This package includes the HERO4 Silver Camera with Built-In Touch Display, Standard Housing 131’(40m), Skeleton + Touch Backdoors, Rechargeable Battery, Curved Adhesive Mount, Flat Adhesive Mount, Quick Release Buckles, 3-Way Pivot Arm (Mounting Hardware), and USB Cable- all for about $400 (list). See more at: http://shop.gopro.com/hero4/hero4-silver/CHDHY-401.html#sthash.hC7Gns1d.dpuf

The GoPro HERO4 Black, Features 4K30 (4x the resolution of 1080p), 2.7K50 and 1080p120 video, 12MP photos up to 30 frames per second, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth®, and Protune™ for photos and video. Waterproof to 131’ (40m). It includes HERO4 Black Camera, Standard Housing (waterproof to 131’), Skeleton Backdoor, Rechargeable Battery, Curved Adhesive Mount, Flat Adhesive Mount, Quick Release Buckles, 3-Way Pivot Arm (Mounting Hardware), and USB Cable (I didn't see the remote mentioned)- all for around $500 (list). See more at: http://shop.gopro.com/hero4/hero4-black/CHDHX-401.html#sthash.FJuSGk00.dpuf

So the big differences appear to be (bonus) Silver- touch screen, (bonus) Black- video resolution. None come with the remote. And if you are not really looking at taking stills, and don't need the remote or Bluetooth capabilities- the HERO might do just as well!?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the 4 Black and wish I had gotten 3 of the lower end that shoot 1080x30 instead. If you have a nice "gamer" tower or can build one and really want to get into high end video, then go with the Black. I have a built tower Intel i7 based and it can't come CLOSE to playing 4K video. Let alone editing multiple streams. The video card upgrade alone will cost more than the GoPro. Add that, a true 4k monitor is still expensive and mainstream is a couple years away at best.

I find myself shooting most things in 1080 and even 720 (which looks great) to save battery life and keep file sizes smaller. I do plan on building a new machine in the future to shoot and edit 4K and 2.7, but you're talking a 3-4 thousand dollar build counting the monitor and who's going be be able to SEE the final 4K anyway? Not someone streaming it from YouTube on a 1080 monitor. We're a ways away.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
check out ION cameras...some competition for Go Pro...I like the round look vs. std. camera box shape. Don't know too much about them yet...but that's what I'm leaning towards.

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
Just looked at the ION its only good to 15 meters or 45 feet.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do dive some and plan on doing more as I get older. I am not real picky but would like to have the option of the extra battery. So I think with all the help from the board I am going to get a 3 or a 4 silver.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything other than GP myself. They are the industry standard and have the most options as well. If you do purchase another brand (there are some decent ones out there playing catch up) make sure they capture in a good format and industry Codec (MP4 H.264) and not some proprietary format (Sony ugh).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went out and bought the Gopro 4Silver edition. Looking forward to using it. I am going to Missouri to Lake Taneycomo in two weeks and will be flyfishing. I am going to try to take some underwater pics while I am wading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts