Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I about have myself talked into renting a yack for a few days while I’m down there on vacation at the end of the month. I have some yack and offshore experience, but I would consider myself a novice at both. I love reading about and seeing the pics of you guys going out in the gulf, and I want to give it a try. I’ll probably have some technique questions later, but I get the jist of what to do. At least what I should be trying to do. My question for now is where (sites) and how do I check on the weather to figure out when would be my best days(2-3) to do the rental? If I’m looking at a 10 day forecast for the week we’re there, what should I be looking for? Wind direction & speed? High/low pressure. What makes for a good day to go out?

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Also try some of the NOAA reports and Wind Guru. Look at the 'Wave Period'. This is expressed in seconds. Six seconds is good. You can take larger waves if the wave period is long. (Time between wave peaks) If it is something like 3 seconds, you can expect it to be uncomfortable choppy. Consistent wind direction for more than a day or two will build a 'Swell' instead of a lot of chop. Even if the Gulf is rough, you can always spend a day in the bay or the Inter-coastal waterway ICW. Have a good time.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Not to pimp my self out but, if your interested in going with a guide your first day let me know. We can go over everything from reading the surf and surf forecasts, to rigging, catching bait and of course fishing! I have well over a dozen fantastic private bottom spots we can hit for monster snapper, grouper, triggers and cobia as well.

I guide out of Hobie Outbacks with turbo fins, sailing rudders and outriggers making them impossible to flip.

Doing it this way can ensure that your solo trips the rest of your stay will be more productive. Shoot me a PM or email at [email protected]

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
Swellinfo.com is a very useful tool. It's important to understand that it is a surf forecast, not an open ocean condition forecast. You can have high surf indicated on swellinfo but generally flat conditions further out. It's one tool of a couple you should use each time you make a decision to launch. Generally inside of 24-48 hours the surf forecast gets pretty dialed in and its usually fairly close. This week has been a mild exception it seems.

You'll also want to use a marine forecast. Go to Wunderground.com and get the weather forecast for the area.... from that page, there would be a link for the marine forecast which will provide a general ocean condition forecast for seas up to 20 miles out. Flat or 1-2ft is generally pretty good. 2-3ft and 2-4ft are so-so and beyond that it gets 'sporty'. Look at your rain forecast and wind speeds and direction. East winds tend to add a lot of chop in my experience. North winds help blow the surf down at the beach. Winds from any direction over 20kts are probably not fun to be out in. A few days of south winds can help blow pelagics into kayak accessible nearshore ranges.

Going back to the weather forecast.... if there's a chance of rain, look at the detailed hourly forecast to see when its coming and what the winds should be on an hour by hour basis.

Try to know your high and low tide times for that day. You can view that almost anywhere but swellinfo has them too. Tides will have an affect on the prevailing current and on the surf heights when they pass over the sandbars.

Lastly, you have to make a call once you get to the beach. Forecasts and actual local conditions do vary. Know how the conditions are forecasted to change in the hours after your launch. You don't want to come back in a storm :whistling: or with the surf 3 feet higher than when you launched :whistling:.

Use the forum too... . Generally a lot of us are checking the forum at all hours of the day and if you ask for an opinion on launching.... you'll generally get one pretty quick. Some are better at reading forecasts, judging conditions or are more experienced at launching than others though.

Good luck and if you do get with JD7.62, you'll be in good hands. He knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Not to pimp my self out but, if your interested in going with a guide your first day let me know. We can go over everything from reading the surf and surf forecasts, to rigging, catching bait and of course fishing! I have well over a dozen fantastic private bottom spots we can hit for monster snapper, grouper, triggers and cobia as well.

I guide out of Hobie Outbacks with turbo fins, sailing rudders and outriggers making them impossible to flip.

Doing it this way can ensure that your solo trips the rest of your stay will be more productive. Shoot me a PM or email at [email protected]

I can vouche for JD he will put you on the
Fish and teach you everything you need to know . You wont be disapointed .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome guys, that's why I love reading this site. That is just the kind of information I was hoping for. What a great group. I told my wife my plan at lunch, and she didn't say no, so I'm good to go :thumbup:. Assuming there is a decent weather window. My plan will be to head out at the azzcrack of dawn each morning for a few hours to fish, then keep the yack at the beach with us for the day. My little ones will enjoy riding some waves on it, and maybe I can get my son out with me to let him catch some ladyfish. I'll tell him they are tarpon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JD thanks for the offer. I'm not sure if a guide trip will be in the books this time, but I will keep that in mind. Where do you launch from on your trips? We're going to be in Seaside, so I think we're a bit east of where most the folks hear are at.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts