Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, picked up a 16ft jon boat and Im shopping for a motor. I was wanting a 30 or 40 hp but really havent found any used. I found a 25hp Nissan local that he is asking 1100 obo but I also found a new 2015 nissan 20hp for 1k with 5 year warranty. Need help deciding.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
My choices in order
Yamaha
Tahatsu
Johnson

Stay far far away from a Mercury...
3 years ago I bought new a mercury 20hp 4stroke...after I found out it was actually manufactured by Tahatsu and rebranded under Mercury name. It has run like a champ ever since. Just my experience...

·
lees way2
1,350 Posts
The speed diff will be min at best,but for a 5 yr warranty I would say do it.If ya want a speed demon buy a flats boat with a 150 or better.Ya will still catch fish and maybe more than the speed demon went by.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If you can buy a new 20hp with 5 year warranty for $1000 then you would be crazy to go any other route.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Yes no decision in my mind get the new one. Used good boat new motor equals a new rig. I have the 5th new engine on my old beat up 20.6 wellcraft.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have a 20hp tohatsu on my duck boat it is a 15ft extra wide and we load it down with decoys and 2 or 3 hunters with all our gear and it runs just fine

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,077 Posts
I have a '89 johnson 40hp tiller, w/t/t electric start for $800, or a '03 johnson tiller, 25hp electric start for 1100.
You can borrow either one to see which one runs your boat the best if you want. You don't have to buy either one to test them out on your boat.
Even have a johnson 15hp w/electric start ($600) if you wanna go lower

1 - 13 of 13 Posts