Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some super nice folks give me some pointer on where and exactly how to catch hardtails this time of year. I tried trolling little tube baits along the beach and got nothing. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Most of the time folks want to know how to keep from catching Hardtails.

OK, this is based on how I did it in P'cola 50 years or so ago. Trolling a small white or yellow jig 2' in front of a size OO Clark spoon was a sure thing. Back then, there was little traffic in the passes. I'd troll around the buoys for Spanish but usually caught more Hardtails.

To keep the rig from tangling, use a 3-way swivel with 1' of 60# mono to the jig and 3' of mono to the spoon. Size the jig to fit trolling speed. Cut the jig skirt right at the back of the hook bend. We didn't have soft plastics back then and used hair or crimped saran tailed jigs.

Use single hooked lures if you plan to use these fish as bait. If you catch a 2# Ladyfish, Bluefish or Mackerel, rig it on a stinger rig and you should catch a big Kingfish or Cuda. Runners don't troll very well unless you slow troll them live.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
These little AJ wannabes like structure just like their larger cousins. Buoys, rock piles, etc. Larger sabikis (#4,#2) work but two small jigs or a jig and a streamer tied one behind another work really well, produce a lot of doubles and don't tangle nearly as bad. I fished a little rock pile yesterday that was covered up with them, wish I could've sent you some!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Glad to hear somebody else is having trouble. Pensacola is the first place I've ever been where I had trouble catching them. Panama City and Destin I could fill the baitwell in 10 mins. For some reason around here I just can't seem to find/catch them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts