Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this pic of the bow there's what looks like a PVC pipe coming out the top of the deck. Does anyone know what this might be? This is a boat I'm thinking about buying and I can't ask the seller cuz, he's not online and doesn't really know much anyway...

The boat's supposed to have a motorized thing to pull up an anchor (Is this stilla windlass?) what is it actually called when the rope wraps around the spool (that's next to the PVC) and it pulls the anchor up?

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
PVC would probably be used too feed the line below deck for storage,otherwise the hatch behind it wouldn't close. The windlass or I think its called a capstan(sp.) windlass just pulls the line up while you feed the line thru the pvc. The newer ones would feed it thru the deck itself. Old design but still works. I'm probably wrong again so see following posts too prove the fact. Good luck with the new purchase if it goes thru.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
the PVC pipe appears to be for the anchor rope to go through and the thing next to it is a capston (sp), atleast thats what we call them offshore, someone else might have a different name for it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HA HA, DOH that makes total sense! and it's soo simple! heh heh heh

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Capstan (spelling correct) is what that definitely is, no doubt about it, (look below for motor ). The PVC?? I'd go along with the others also. My 25'er has a hole in the deck and the rope is fed through, and falls into a rode locker just forward of the cabin at the front of the bow. I have a door that flips up (in the cabin). Check, it might have one also. Looks like a previous owner at some point added the capstan and needed a way to feed the rode down below. The difference between a capstan and a windless is that with a capstan you wrap the anchor rode around the shaft a couple of times and hold tension (pull on the rope) as the capstan is turning (usually a two man operation). With the windless one can in fact bring up a anchor.

A capstan differs from a windlass, which is used for similar purposes, in having the axis on which the rope is wound vertical instead of horizontal. In yachting terminology, winches function on the same principle as capstans, though in industrial applications, the term winch generally implies a machine which stores the rope on a drum.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
The round thing the rope goes around is the drum of the windless. However a float ring would pull the anchor much quicker thanmost windlesses I have ever seen on small boats.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
sealark (12/19/2007)The round thing the rope goes around is the drum of the windless. However a float ring would pull the anchor much quicker thanmost windlesses I have ever seen on small boats.
And thats why I haven't invested in a capstan/windless and use Ron's float/anchor ring.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The drum (spool) the rope wraps around is like the one they use on drill rigs to lift a sample hammer with. I call it a cathead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts