Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum and need to know some info before I go fishing!
Coming down in early Feb and staying till early March to the area and plan on fish out of the kayak for anything that bites the hook, anyone steer me in the direction of fish? Where do I find live bait? Have a cast net.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
You might want to post this in the kayak section. There are a lot of folks here that fish from a kayak and from their postings they seem to do quite well. I don't use a cast net but I see folks casting them along the bay. I would think netting baitfish would be best when the water warms which can be iffy in early March. We do have a number of good tackle shops around if you need to buy bait.

·
Make it a Grady Day.
2,784 Posts
welcome.

bayous & shallow waters will be cooler, thus cast netting a challenge. might find someone w/ a deep-water pinfish trap that would be willing to share.

buoy line usually holds bait, but again cooler temps and depends on wave height for your ya & ability to get a good toss.

+1 on yak section.

catch 'em up.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Around that time of year, you should expect to be fishing for sheepshead. No castnet should be needed, it's a bit to early to rely on catching much bait. You should be able to find live shrimp or fiddler crabs at the tackle shops. That's all you'll need for bait. Get on here and look for a fishing partner or two, to show you the ropes with figuring out those tricky sheepshead. Read up on 'em between now and then, it'll be your best bet. They taste great too btw.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Yup...what he said. Rocks, bridges, anywhere there are large concentrations of barnacles (they eat them). The Pensacola Bay Bridge (3mi bridge) would probably be a good bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts