Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just though I would introduce myself. I have been lurking around the site for the last few weeks reading as much as I can. There is a lot of knowledge and great ideas on here about this sport. I have just become interested in kayak fishing. I love to fish, but unfortunately haven't been in a while. My 12 year old daughter wants to start fishing so that is a plus. I don't have a kayak yet, but am considering getting a tandem that can be used solo. I live in Leroy, Alabama. There are a few freshwater places around here to go. I have only fished freshwater but would love to do some inshore fishing as well. Have a good day. Thanks for your time.

Matt

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Matt, Welcome to the forum. There are lots of guys on here who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am about kayak fishing but I have done a bit and it is awesome. I've got a rig that I used to use in Yellow River and in Big Lagoon and some bayous. That was just sort of a trail but I learned a lot and caught some good fish. Now, I am ready to upgrade and have also been looking around for the right boat. Just a thought for you. Two boats. They don't have to be new but make sure they are ride on top style.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks panhandleslim. I don't know if she (or her mother) would be comfortable in her own boat yet. I have been researching the Frontier and Big Tuna online. I will hopefully get to look at one soon. All the pictures of yaks and fish being caught is definitely making the fever rise.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My wife has an ocean malibu 2 - very stable and will seat two or paddels fine with one person. Academy had them a few weeks ago for $399 and you can find a good used one from time to time for about the same amount.

Greg

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello

Hello and welcome. If you have the funding look into the Hobie Mirage Oasis. It is a two seater that can also be used as a single. There is a couple on here that fish out of one. I think that their name is "hey watch this". That may be an option for yall...? Regardless, welcome!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Matt, welcome to the sport. Let me warn you up front - it can be very addictive... Just being on the water is fun, catching fish is the plus. There are several tandems that can be fished solo - I took my daughter fishing in an Ocean Kayak Malibu II and my son would fish it solo. Lots of fun and good memories. Look at the OK Malibu II XL...

If you are in Pensacola on March 16th, Pensacola Kayak & Sail will be holding their Demo Day - you can test drive any yak they sell - Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Native Watercraft - all the top paddle models. 10 am to 3 pm.

Go to the GCKFA site - www.gulfcoastkayakfishing.com or you can also check out the Mobile Kayak Fishing club - http://mbkfa.com/

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hello and welcome. If you have the funding look into the Hobie Mirage Oasis. It is a two seater that can also be used as a single. There is a couple on here that fish out of one. I think that their name is "hey watch this". That may be an option for yall...? Regardless, welcome!
+1 for the Hobie Mirage Oasis if money isnt a problem! You'll spend a lot more time fishing then paddling! Im already saving to upgrade to a hobie an i havent even had my kayak more then a month an half! :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts