Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a great morning today. it was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride. i got to my stand early and chilled out for a bit playing games on my phone and whatnot once it got bright enough i could see i put up the phone and pulled out the grunt hit the estrus bleat followed by a tending grunt and in comes the wildest spike ive ever seen he had one spike about 12" straight up and the other was a solid 2".he got a pass about an hour and another grunt sequence later in comes a doe charging and sure enough she was beeing chased by another cowhorn. i was sure enough gonna shoot him but he was stopped behind a tree when out of the corner of my eye here comes a rack !! i diverted my attention to the bigger buck and he stops right behind another tree turnes around and stays behind brush the whole time i grunted at him n he showed no attention....soo about another hour n a grunt later my nose starts pouring blood, at the same time i hear steps over my shoulder i look and its a doe coming in on a string i reached for my phone to get a video of her and no sooner than i grab it i hear a grunt, look behind her and its a nice one. he comes in and stops directly under my feet then proceeds to walk behind me straight towards some thick gnarly stuff so i grabbed the tikka put the crosshairs on him and boom !!! he hauls ass i had 2 more rounds in my rifle so i gave them to him !! when i stopped my nosebleed and got down there was no blood nothing i followed his tracks and found brown hair where the second shot hit him and white where the third got him but still no blood i followed where i seen him run and found 1 drop of blood and a little chunk of meat so i called my buddy and he came out with his bulldog we put her on it and within 10 minutes i had my hands on him :thumbup: i did have to finish him off.. but in conclusion my first shot missed my second skint the top of his ass off and my third got his gut my shooting wasnt good but it was good enough

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,632 Posts
That's a nice un.....low blood iron or smack yourself in the nose fer the nose bleed??? Glad you recovered the buck!!! Sounds like you were in a heck of a spot!

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a nice un.....low blood iron or smack yourself in the nose fer the nose bleed??? Glad you recovered the buck!!! Sounds like you were in a heck of a spot!
lol had them my whole life doctor says thin membranes r somethin used to get it fixed every couple months now i just deal with them as they come

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice one. Glad you got him but this is the first time I've heard of the hunter leaving a better blood trail than the game!!

·
Super Moderator
28,632 Posts
lol had them my whole life doctor says thin membranes r somethin used to get it fixed every couple months now i just deal with them as they come
I had them alot when I was a kid, picked my nose too much I reckon!!!! :whistling:

Reactions: SaltWaterBuck

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's a fine deer there. But I'm gonna be the guy that asks about your considering shooting a cowhorn. I don't mean any disrespect but is there some special regulation for BW? I thought the regs stated a buck must have a 2 points on one side south of I-10 and 3 points or a 10 inch mainbean north of I-10. Regardless of your location in BW wouldn't the cowhorn be illegal? Before you or anyone else goes crazy on me....I am simply asking the question. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to speak of your intentions and then post a picture of yourself on a public forum even though the deer you did harvest is clearly illegal. And again I'm not meaning any disrespect by this.

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a fine deer there. But I'm gonna be the guy that asks about your considering shooting a cowhorn. I don't mean any disrespect but is there some special regulation for BW? I thought the regs stated a buck must have a 2 points on one side south of I-10 and 3 points or a 10 inch mainbean north of I-10. Regardless of your location in BW wouldn't the cowhorn be illegal? Before you or anyone else goes crazy on me....I am simply asking the question. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to speak of your intentions and then post a picture of yourself on a public forum even though the deer you did harvest is clearly illegal. And again I'm not meaning any disrespect by this.
no disrespect taken bud he was well over 10" and perfectly legal and with no meat in the freezer i wasnt feeling too picky if he walked out on me tomorrow he would get a pass now that ive got something in the freezer........but this hunt was a prime example of what happens when you let them walk albeit i didnt intend on letting him walk but had i shot him id have never seen that 6

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Good buck, good morning, and a good story. :yes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Plenty of 10 inch cowhorn north of hwy 4 lol some really good genetics running around in blackwater but def some poor ones to. I personally think our extra long hunting season has a lot to do with rack size and deer sightings. Think about it from October through March thousands of people's scent everywhere running dogs, scrubbing, squirrel hunting etc. The deer in blackwater have the potential to compete for the best bucks in the state no doubt but they are harassed and driven nocturnal from the get-go. Depredation permits being handed out to fools that have no intention other than shooting a rack buck, night hunters galore without enough law enforcement in areas where it goes on routinely, and the extreme amount of pressure, it's a wonder anybody ever kills a decent buck. I know in my area I hunt I have experienced a 90% reduction in buck sighting over the past 3 years and I have pictures to prove it. You wouldn't believe the quality of deer I have consistently seen in BW before the area became overrun with these problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts