Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling pretty bad today. My wife first brought me to Pensacloa for a vaction 10 years ago when we were dating. I fell in love with the gulf coast. We have been trying to move down there for a couple years now ,but life has been getting in the way. I have grown up on the chesapeake bay and the outer banks of N.C. But my true love is Gulf. I'm beside myself up here in VA.

Chris

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
We appreciate your concern! A prayer or 2 wouldn't hurt either! We are hoping for the best, and fearing/preparing for the worst. A little early to count us out at this point....we aren't dead yet!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife's family is getting involved over in Bayou La Batre. I'm try to see if I can take my vactaion now and haul a** down there to help. Prayers are definately being sent from many of us up here.

Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
bamafan (01/05/2010)I'm feeling pretty bad today. My wife first brought me to Pensacloa for a vaction 10 years ago when we were dating. I fell in love with the gulf coast. We have been trying to move down there for a couple years now ,but life has been getting in the way. I have grown up on the chesapeake bay and the outer banks of N.C. But my true love is Gulf. I'm beside myself up here in VA.

Chris
I feel your pain as work & the kids school will keep me landlocked until June. I will gladly volunteer to clean up any area that needs it instead of fishing when I get down there. The Panhandle has been very good to me over the years (lived in Mary Esther from 93-99) & I am desperate to get back to live also. I am sure I don't need to but, will still implore any & all to assist in the clean upbe ittiny or massive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey dont feel too bad. I just moved down here about a year ago. Same thing I fell inlove with the water. I left a great job in the Atlanta area for a rotten job market down here, in a state with a stupid NO FAULT laws. High auto insurance rates, super crazy high homeowners rates, Real-estate market is still tanking. I have put my family through hell to live a dream of living on the water. I was to stubborn to let life get in my way. we all feel it brother, we all do

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll add my 2 cents worth. Started going down to Pensacola some 30 years ago with my then very young family. We fell in love with the area. Now I'm taking my grandchildren down and still enjoying the people and the area. My prayers go out to you that steering currents will let this by pass you.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I hear you guys.

I am working my last week at my decent job in KY to also follow my young family's dream to move to the area. Our move date is May 14th.

I had been saving some money to start a business but at 24 and 23 with a three year old we decided to follow our dreams and instead of waking up ten years from now still wishing we had gone. Of course now we are worried sick. My wife is a new RN so hopefully she wont have too hard ofa timefinding a job. We have enough money to keep us afloat with neither of us working for 6-10 months but Im afraid that may not be enough.

We are hoping for the best. Its too late to back out now.

If anything, we will be four extra hands to help clean up.

As much as I love fishing, what I was looking forward to the most was picnics on the beach with the family and watching my little girl with a flash light and net chasing ghost crabs across the beach on those warm lazy summer nights as I did when I was a kid. I hope our dream isnt ruined.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too am grief stricken. This looms over my every thought. I took for granted how much i actually need the therapy that comes from being on the water.

Im still trying to be positive as futile as it may seem at this point. The people here care deeply about the gulf, as you guys know. Call me a dreamer but i see us coalescing over this tragedy, cleaning this place back up. Becoming a closer community after its all said and done. Try not to be cynical about this, a little belief in belief feels comforting to me in the face of all that's happening.

Either way it sounds like you guys will make good neighbors.

I like what next ? You cant take his power. All those negative things to think about and to him Life is great.. I agree..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bamafan...

By nature I'm an optimist but it's hard to find a silver lining in this. About the only positive thing I can offer isthis: At least we have Nick Saban :p

ROLL TIDE...(and take the oil with you)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
This is a terrible tragedy, but not the end of the world. I think MS will be in more trouble than us. I moved here last year because I hadn't seen any real progress in Katrina recovery in 4 years. They'll never recover if the oil hits there. On a positive note, I was catching salmon in Prince William Sound 3 years after the disaster there. We may loose a summer fishing but nature is resilient and will recover for the most part.

·
Registered
149 Posts
hopefully the freshwater fishing in the rivers will not be affected too bad. If so I will let you guys in on some great fresh water lakes in the backwoods.

ps you may need a smaller boat..

just trying to get a laugh to break all the worries

·
Registered
387 Posts
i left a great job in atlanta because my fiance loved the area so i moved back.now that she is not in the equation,i have no idea why i am here if fishing goes belly up,its not like the coast ever had a lot of jobs to begin with.i just sit here wondering what to do next cuz i work on the beach,at least for now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
flyfisher (04/05/2010)Bamafan...

By nature I'm an optimist but it's hard to find a silver lining in this. About the only positive thing I can offer isthis: At least we have Nick Saban :p

ROLL TIDE...(and take the oil with you)
Roll tide & take the oil with you ?

ROFL !! (snort) !! hilarious !! Thanks for the laugh !!

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I had the same dream almost 30 years ago. I took a pay cut and it has taken me this long to feel that I am anywhere close to my earning potential. Before I came I was told to either have an employable skill like in medicine or have a skill that could make my own business like welding, electrical, etc. Having now lived it I can see that wisdom. Good luck and we may all be out there cleaning the mess that someone else caused and should never have happened.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts