Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an invite from the folks at Rooster Run Hunting Lodge in Providence Ky, along with Buckmasters, for a terminally ill hunt. We are headed up tonight, only because the kids will hopefully sleep most of the way,we will get a hotel closer to Kentuckey, at least maybe Nashville or so.Hope to be scoutin tomorrow evening, huntin Sat, and Sun. headed home Mon. maybe Tues. Wish us the best, keep us in your prayers, and we will hopefully have a nice post by Tues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good luck to you guys. I hope the kids you are hosting have a great hunt. I'm hosting a child with disabilities at our camp on New Year's day and think there could not possibly be a better way for any of us to give back to our community.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Good luck and God bless. That Buckmasters American Deer Foundation (BADF) that sponsors this type of hunts is a great organization, I know you will have a great time.

Ed

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
jason tell the boys i said hello and i hope them the best of luck on this awsome hunt, and when yall get back i want to see the winners :takephoto

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just spent an hour writing an absolute perfect story and hit the back button:sick:sick:sick, there has got to be a way to save that from erasing:sick:reallycrying.

I would like to thank God forgetting me my wife my 4 and 9 yr old for getting us there and backin my 86' king cab ranger loaded to the hilt, with luggage and my 4- wheeler, I will explain under myupdated postof it for sale!

Beautifull place, It isan old minning facility, on probably 10,000 acrees or so, still actively minning. Sat Sat. morning with the wind blowing behind us across a green feild, not ideal winds, warm with a front coming through Sat evening, saw a doe about 7 she beelined for the corn but winded us before he could get set up.

I am sorry guys I am just sick to my stomach over pouringout an awesome story and deleting it. In total 15 deer killed between 8 kidsall but 1 got atlest 1 and Dillian got a doe Sun svening. I will try to to recap it tomorrow again puting tape over the back button:sick:banghead:banghead:banghead! To make matters evenworse we forgot a camera and all I have for now is this crappy one from my phone and some on a disposable. I am going to try to get a disc made so I can down load em! Please read after tomorrow evening I willtry to re write another story:banghead

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try it again. Arived at Rooster Run Lodge, in Providence Kentucky Fri after Christmas in the afternoon. Trip went pretty well considering my wife and I in the front and my 9 and 4 yr old in the Back of my little ranger, with the wheeler on the back. That is another story. Got settled in met the guid, Keg, and the gentleman who invited us, Rick with Kids In The Outdoors T.V. It was quite nice, considering we did not know what to expect. There are two hired hands who clean and cook 10 hrs a day. Let me tell you these ladies could cook. Fri night we ate chicken patties with mashed potatoes, gravy, home made biscuits, corn, grilled chicken, sweet tea, beans, cornbread, you name it it was there.There were 8 or 9 diffrent kids there with there fathers mostly, some hade grand parents along also. We met everyone had dinner and talked of where we would hunt the next morning.

Sat morning, I was the second to awake, next to Randy the owner operator of the lodge. He had a spread for breakfast, eggs, bacon, sausage, left over country fried chicken patties,biscuits and gravy, cereal. orange juice, milk. Istarted to pig out, but thought about it and decided I beter eat light so I am not falling asleep on Dillians first morning hunt! Wished everyone the best and Keg took us to our stand. Get out there and the wind is howling around mach 30 as stated, and we find our way to the blind. As it gets light I can see this green field is on the edge ofaCRP feild to the right, with woods, or bedding area to our left. We are glassing the field looking to see deer that should be feeding off the CRP field and through our green field, and a healthy doe pops out of the small patch of bushes seperating the fields.She looks deadat us from about 150 yds away. She pays us no mind, and bee lines for the corn pile about 90yds away. Wind is not in our favor for this spot, and I cannot belive she had not busted us yet. Then it happens shegoes from a fast trot to a dead stop 10 ft from the corn pile, I knew she caught us then, I had Dillians gun almost in position and she turned and bolted to about 175yds beforepausing on the edge of the woods, I guess to let the 2 smaller does I just noticed catch up to her before the bouncedd in the woods. By now it is about 8 A.M. or so and I give Dillian the phone to play a game as I glass again. I am pretty sure that is all we will see, I am thinking to my self. I was thinking correct, and our guide shows up about 9:15

Back at camp wesee a doe pilled up on the back of Rick's cart, one of the other boys shot her. High fives and congradulations were exchanged and we wait ontwo more deer we here are coming in, both shot by the same boy. He arrives and we get some vedio footage and pictures and pull down to the skinnin shed. We cleaned em up and headed back to the lodge for the full course lunch, ai'nt no sandwiches here. Macaroni and tomatoes, beans and cornbread, stew, biscuits, cold veggies, mmmmmmm. Nap time:sleeping. They were calling for rain to come in early. It was overcast, light sprinkles here and there, but nothing heavy but the wind at 1:30. Asked the guide if we could get back out there and he said whenever your ready. We headed back to the same blind, I was a little optomistic that we would see anything, with winds worse than the morning, but atleast they were steady and not changing direction much, coming over our backs and out to the feild and not the bedding area. By 5 it was dark and had seen nothing but black birds, sweat all afternoon as it had been unsesonably hot for the last couple of days. Head back to camp, where a couple other boys had downed a few more. Helped em clean them and had another delicious meal, only this time we had hand made cheery and apple pies with fresh baked cookies and Ice cream for dessert. Roast was on the menu. boy let me tell you I ate WAY more than I needed. Finished up and discussed where we would hunt the morning.

Front came through all night, we even lost power about 10 or so. This place sits on 5,500 acres of reclaimed coal mining property. With this being the old check in station it runs off its own powere grid, and they were in no hurry to fix it. Woke Sun morning to eggs, bacon, biscuits n gravy again. This time, Dillian is wide awake, and I know it is going to be cold, so I eat good! Sure enough, 70 degrres when we went to bed and 30 when we headed out the door! Randy took us to our stand this time and it was overlooking a corn pile where one of those does were killed yesterday morning. We get to the blind, squeeze in it and I keep thinking man this thing is small. Well after a minute or two I am cramped and cant stand it, I start looking around and find that with all the winds straps have pulled and it is scrunched up. I finally get it all situated about daylight. I can now see we have a hard bottom behind us that leeds to a pond,and a field infront of us, good looking spot. I doze in and out, Dillian is wide awake and won't let me catch a good nap. It is down right freezing light wind in our face, which is a good thing but man it is cold. Luckily I took precaution geting him cold weather base layers and well insulated coveralls, thick socks,warm boots, hoodies, and hand warmers to put in his gloves. Me on the other hand banghead, I got on some thin base layers and a jacket with thin pants. I took care of that this week at BPS. As 10 A.M. rolls around, nothing but hawks flyin around I give the guide a call when Dillian finally says are you ready, I been watin on him to say that for 2 hrs!

Arrive back a camp 2 more were killed and we helped em clean em up. Ate some late breakfast, powere was finally back on, took a warm shower and took a hr nap. Randy is an advid bird hunter si the skeet and shooter were brought out. My 9 yr old finally got out there after I held the gun and helped my 4yr old shot a few out of the air, bubba could not let that fly. Bout 1 oclock, we start gettin ready to head out for the afternnon. Rick tells us he is sending a camera man with us, who also hapens to be his son, Eric. We get loaded up, head out to the same field we sat on this morning, only with higher hopes. Last evening of the last day and we got a camera with us. No wind we make very little noise as I had already cleaned the blind out of leaves and straightened it back up that morning. We get a little footage of me and Dillian talking about the hunt and getting set up. Eric says to Dillian, " Don't you go to sleep, I'll have to put you on T.V. sleepin in the woods, ha ha ". 30 min later he is dozing off and Eric says " deer, deer " Dillian pops up only to see he was kidding. 5 min. later he returns the favor and eric about chokes on his drink trying to get the camera ready,lol. 15 min go by and I see a doe coming in from my far right. I whisper " doe, doe," they think I am jokling now, as they can not see her yet. She heads straight for the corn pile, checking on us a couple of times. She feeds right to the corn, I swear she knows we are there the whole time but never leaves. Dillian is perfect in a stand, watches the deer with one eye, gets the gun ready wtih the other, I am so proud of him.

The camera guy says " I'm on her ", " I say you ready son ", I pull the hammer back for him, as it is still hard for him to do it on the first pull. I tellhim to put right on that shoulder and squeeze the trigger. BOOOM! She buckles, and starts plowing as she has lost mobility in both front legs. What a shot I am stoked camera guy is shaking and Dillian is calm as can be. " Give me another shell dad." O.K. It is only 3:30, and I felt confident about the shot, so we decided to wait and see if we could see another. About 4:15, we decide to head out as we still need good camera light for the recovery. Get to the corn pile and a big patch of white hair and 3 small pieces of bone. NO BLOOD. We top the hill about 150 yds in the direction she headed and you could see for a mile down the hill. She was no where to be found. We start gridin, I call the guide and ask him to come and bring my wife and 4 yr old to help grid. After an hr plus I walked all the way to the bootom figuring they always go down hill. NOT! I here a faint " Dillian, come here ". I throw my 4 yr old on my shouldes and start runnin up the hill. She ran 300 ydsa up hill with both fromt legs broke at the joit and a4 inch hole in her chest cavity right at the sternum. That was the bone we found.

Well only one deer out of a potential 4 he could of shot. If he had'nt of shot any, It would have still been an awesome trip. I would like to thank God, first off, for blessing me and my wife with 2 little munchkins. Rick with Kids In The Outdoors T.V., on the Pursuit channel. Rooster Run Hunting Lodge. The guide,Keg, the laddies who did the fine cookin, and cleanin up after us, and Randy the owner operator for havin us. And Dustrie for tradin me an awesome 4- wheeler, oh and my little 86' ranger for gettin us there and backloaded to the max! Pictures are crappy, forgotthedigitalcamera:banghead:banghead.gotafew with the phone and a couple on a disposable which I got a disk made from. Sorry for the long post, but what is a proud papa to do?

Oh and of course my new toy!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Awesome post and great trip you guys had. Congrats to Dillan on his deer:clap..and if you find out if they are putting his shot on the air let us know, love to see that

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
patriot10 (1/4/2009)Awesome post and great trip you guys had. Congrats to Dillan on his deer:clap..and if you find out if they are putting his shot on the air let us know, love to see that
Will do, I am going to get a copy of un edited hopefully. If I do, I will try to post it up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts