Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be floating around in the gulf today. Hoping I can get me my first yak cobia... first cobia for that matter. See some of y'all out there, I will be out past the Portofino today. Everyone stay safe and good luck :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
27,956 Posts
Good luck brother!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Surf looks a little rough at Navarre I think I'm going to sit this one out.. still pretty new at this and dont want to risk it... let us know how you end up doing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It got NASTY out there today. We hit the beach at 10AM and by noon, if you already werent in I bet you had fun coming back through that surf!

I did get my first king of 2014 though!

Yeah I hit the beach around noon and it was pretty rough.. I left all my gear on the beach and went out to practice launching. Launching was easy, but when I came back in I bit the dust pretty hard! Congrats on the first king!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a big goose egg. Lost my phone first thing this morning, left it on the bumper when picking my kayak up, so it went bouncing down I10 somewhere. Floated around portofino for a few hours from about 6-10 targeting cobia. Wind picked up hard outta the SE so I decided to call it. On the way in I went to bail like I usually do and my trunks caught my pliers that are attached to the yak, over we go. Luckily I was able to keep me FF/GPS from submerging. Rocket launchers and leashes did their jobs as well.

Went down to the pier, slept in the truck till about 1:30-2 and met up with my GF and their friends. They got stuck in traffic so I decided to practice launching in less than desirable conditions west of the pier. Had a solid wave form and buck me once but was able to hop back in in chest deep water and keep humping. Surfed a little on the way back in and hopped out when I had a decent break between sets.

Anyone make another attempt later in the day? Once past the breakers it was decent water.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
I got in at the fwb pier at7 am and fished till 1 or 2 . The surf had come up quite a bit since the morning but wasn't a problem for either of us. I always tuck everything into my Trident 15s rod pod before a roughwater beaching so if the yak rolls iI loose nothing and there is no real danger to me like hooks pliers etc. Also if I think there is a chance I'm going to roll the yak I just hop out once I get into the breakers and I hold onto the rear of the kayak and act as a sea anchor stabilizing the boat. Which is what I did yesterday but my buddy was able to just paddle in with no problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put in at Navarre just before 1000. Trolled east of the pier and ended up with nothing. No bait no hits just exercise. Was off the water at 1200 because I knew it was going to get nasty, plus needed time to knock out the honey do list. Second time in the Gulf this week (was also out Thursday) nothing to show for it yet.

Saw your jeep JD, I recognized the trailer so I knew you were out there. Glad you managed something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts