Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are headed down the first of April and am still a little new to the offshore fishing world. I was wondering what species we should target, best way to rig the gear, and what will be thebest bait. We will be in a 21' boat so I would prefer to stay within 20-25 miles of coast and we will be leaving out of Orange Beach. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Looks like cobia will be good. Grouper season opens up April 1 and usually they are in a little closer that time of year. Good luck, try some public spots in 80' of water, you'll be amazed what you can catch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you are wanting to stay close, the Massachusetts is covered with sheepshead this time of year and its only about a mile off shore. I went out there on Saturday the 27th and we caught 18 of them a black drum and a black snapper. What we did was put a 1oz weight then a swivel, and about 3 feet of 14# mono with a cirlce sea red hook with some live shrimp. We tore them up. A little further out is the Bridge Ruble. There you'll want about the same setup but a 3oz weight and 25lb mono. You can use some cut squid out there and catch snapper all day long. Last time we went out we caugh Trigger fish, Mingo, Lane, and Black snapper ALL DAY. Also if you want to catch an AJ just hook a frozen cigar on without a weight and cast it out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts