Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna start by saying that we had a awesome time while in Pittsfield! the hunting was fantastic, the guides were great, and the camaraderie with the other hunters made the whole trip perfect. i never got to fill my tag but im def goin back next year. i saw more bucks in 5 days than i will see in AL in 2 or 3 seasons.

when we first got there the corn wasnt cut but they cut it the second day. after that, it was on! i had a 160 inch 12pt at 18yrds chasing a doe and could not get a shot:( i saw a total of about 35 rack bucks, 9 of them were shooters and all were within 50yrds. but it was bowhunting the rut. the bucks were all on a mission. from the time you saw the deer, you had about 5 to 15 seconds to get your bow, judge the deer, and make the shot. that sounds like something really easy to do but trust me, it isnt that easy.

we had 4 bucks shot, all over 140 inches and 2 were recovered. here are a few pics. the first buck was a 9pt my buddy Brett Black killed. with a split brow tine on his right side and 13.5 inch g3 on his left. check out the mass on this guy. even with the funky rack, he scored just over 140.

the second was a 152 inch 10pt

and here is a pic of the 5 guys and the guides after the last hunt. we will all be coming back next year. if you ever have a chance to go up and hunt Pike County during the rut. GO!!!!!!! its a unbelievable hunt that you will never forget!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sorry you didn't fill your tag. Hunting up this way sure changes your attitude about big bucks doesn't it? I have seen some monsters since I've been in Missouri and they definately change your goals. I went back home to Louisiana a couple years ago and my brother was looking forward to taking me deer hunting. He put me on a great stand and lo and behold I had an 8 point down within 2 hours on the first hunt. When he came to pick me up and found out I got one, he was pretty excited. He asked what I was going to do with the rack. It was a nice deer but after being up here I told him I might make a set of rattling horns with them. I thought he was going to cry! I did do a skull mount on him but my standards had changed alot since I left Louisiana. Gun season opens tomorrow so I'm crossing my fingers!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it did change my attitude. one day we did some driving and videoing. we saw tons of bucks over 140in while we were drivin in the truck! incredible!!!

thehunt was $2250 plus extras. its a no frills hunt. a roach motel, no meals included, having your own trans to and from the farm is a plus. the same hunt from dif outfitters in the same area can cost double. our outfitter only hunts the farms for 3 weeks out of the season!! the 3 main weeks of the rut so the pressure is really low. i think i spent about 300 bucks while in Pittsfield. there is arestaurant called the Red Dome Inn that has amazing prime rib!! if you go, try it.. also, go to the archery shop and check out some of the amazing bucks that have been killed in pittsfield. there is a buck in there that is over 200inches that was killed by the son of the owner of the shop

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
The Blue Hoo (11/14/2008)skully youre a homo. nice bruisers
You should have known him back in highschool. He was an even bigger homo back then. He was on this gay ass soccer team and everything. :poke

Nice trip report man.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Great report Sculls! Sorry you didn't fill your tag, but on hunt's like that you learn it's not all about the kill. It is a whole different world upthere. What a great experience.

·
Super Moderator
28,142 Posts
Sorry bout the no-filler part.....sounds like an awesome time though....That's a bunch of change to come home empty coolered--afraid I'd get skint by momma if I didn't bring home a leg bone or something:poke:letsdrink

Fine deer up there though....good luck on the rest of the season---still waiting fer some more experience fer GATOR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts