Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Valued Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are starting to show up in places like Bayou Chico and I have found a few, very few in Escambia River. They are Gizzard shad. They are very plentiful on others rivers like the Alabama and Apalachicola but seem to be difficult to find here. Have you seen them?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Everything bigger than a shad eats shad. Catfish love them but so do bass. A lot of people back home net shad on Grand Lake in NE Okla and haul them to fish with in Beaver Lake (NW Ark) where they catch really big stripers and hybrids on them. They do the same thing on Texoma Lake. My grandpa netted them and froze them to use on his trotlines when bait was hard to come by due to cold weather.

·
Premium Member
10,257 Posts
Cat the Alabama was loaded with them up around Dixie Landing before the high water. It's falling now, They should show back up when it slows a bit.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Great bait...used them in other places also, but smaller, menhaden size.

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,433 Posts
As soon as I saw the fish, gizzard popped in my mind.
It looks just like the gizzard shad we catch on the coosa river when we are stripe fishing behind the dam. I used to watch guys that would have a fly rod catching several pound shad with flies

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
It looks like what they call a CHUB in Louisiana. Let me see if I can find a picture. The coon asses tell me they are shit eaters.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Yep caught them in Bayou Grande. Never seen one till then. I bet every thing eats them. Next off shore bait to try. Has a mullet head on a menhaden body.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts