Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-size: 13px;"> "<span style="font-size: 13px;">The<span class="shipname"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Ixtoc I<span style="font-size: 13px;">exploratorywell blew out on June 3, 1979 in the Bay of Campeche off Ciudad delCarmen, Mexico(The Gulf of Mexico south of the Texas border). By the time the well was brought under control in 1980,an estimated 140 million gallons of oil had spilled into the bay. The<span class="shipname"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Ixtoc I<span style="font-size: 13px;">iscurrently #2 on the all-time list of largest oil spills of all-time,eclipsed only by the deliberate release of oil, from many differentsources, during the 1991 Gulf War...."

Yes, this is a horrible thing that has happened. I don't look forward to the coming years. But this isn't the worst ever, nor is it even close to Exxon as of yet (which was 10 million gallons.) I read a study done in 1982 that was done in order to check for remaining Ixtoc I oil remains. The study showed a very very minute amount of residue in the surrounding waters of the Gulf of Mexico. This was only 2 years later. Not ten. Not twenty. Two!

Like i have said in previous posts, let's not get overly pessimistic as of yet. We need to stay strong as a community. When it all comes down to it, this technically is everyone's fault. We all need oil. So lets just wait, see, and clean up after ourselves with our chins held high!

Update:
This is a recent news report. It's fun when that little lights turns on in peoples heads.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Dont post much anymore but this was one of the better ones on it i have seen in a while.People are hyping this up beyond belief.I guarabtee more oil and gas goes in the gulf from marinas and overturned boats during storms than this thing is gonna produce.I think our current dictator is doing an awesome job making sure this thing is blown up as big as possible so when it doesnt amount to squat he and his adinistration can take as much of the credit as possible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thankyou "Kenton" for a positive post. We needed that. I know we could still get some bad effects from this spill, but the "doom and gloom" is really too much!

·
Registered
310 Posts
My father was a witness to that mess. He was sent as a technical adviser and observer by J Ray McDermott. The first Mexican well without our help. Bad surveying and seismic readings made for a pain when it came time to drill a relief well. Red Adair was called in to snuff the fire and used a device called a sombrero over the well to catch and collect the crude boiling up on top of the ocean.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
So, that was the last one like that to blow out? In 1979? But I thought the "Big Oil" was blowing them out every weekend? You know, the rapers and pilagers.. 30 years without one cratering as such in the Gulf? To read some of the responses I have, you would think it would happen wayyyy more often. I know this is a bad spill, don't try to say I thought anything else. 30 years without this kind of incident is a pretty good record. Certainly better than the airlines, railroad, cars, condos on the beach, factories and shipping.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Great post! I'm a half full glass of water kind of guy myself. Yes it's a disaster but so far it has been contained at sea with very little oil on shore so far. The Gulf currents and mother nature have been good to us and from the looks of things conditions will remain the same for the next two to three weeks. There hasn't been a disaster of this magnitude in the Gulf for 30 years. After this you can be sure that some new regulations will be enacted making the situation even safer with procedures in place for a quicker and more organized response. BP is bringing in the best technology and ideas the world has to offer to contain and clean up this spill. With a little luck and a blessing from God the Gulf coast will get past this with a minimum amount of damage to the ecology. I commend the people who come at this problem with a positive attitude and those that are willing to help as they may when the time for action arrives.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ther's only one problem with this whole ordeal, it can be summed up in one word. "THEFRICKINMEDIA" News is important don't get me wrong, but the media feeds on breeding hysteria in the public. It's always the worst case scenarios they report. If you call assumptions and hypothetical situations reporting. It's more like reading fiction.

Thanks for a no-nonsense post that puts things into perspective. Between the media and the tree huggers this thing will grow worse and worse as the days go by. I undertsand it's far reaching potential but it's not going to be as bad as the anti's will make it out to be.

We got too many nasty pelicans as it is. LOL.

FOX news posted a picture of a hardhead catfish on its website for the whole world to see. ONE HARDHEAD. Then claimed it wasn't known if the oil killed it or not. The same with the turtles.Why? Why post that if it's not knowingly related to the spill. Hysteria is money for them I guess, keeps them busy.

Thanks again for the great post.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread. I was on that project when it happened. I was on the M/V Heritage working for Offshore Logistics as an Assistant Engineer. We assisted with the evacuation and tried to keep water on it before an electric motor set the natural gas off. I actually have an old life vest that blew off that rig when the last chopper departed. Will have to do some digging and see if I can find those photo's. Great pictures of it from the beginning, and at night as the fire danced across the water....... Wow, I wasn't sure if there was anybody out there that remembered that rig going up.... Tight lines, Tom B.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Hello Kenton. I have alot more somewhere, but just found these two... Look familiar??????? What exciting times it was for a 20 year old....... Aaahhhhh, the memories.........

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:bump:
I just thought it deserved another go around for everyone who hadn't seen this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Downtime2 (05/05/2010)So, that was the last one like that to blow out? In 1979? But I thought the "Big Oil" was blowing them out every weekend? You know, the rapers and pilagers.. 30 years without one cratering as such in the Gulf? To read some of the responses I have, you would think it would happen wayyyy more often. I know this is a bad spill, don't try to say I thought anything else. 30 years without this kind of incident is a pretty good record. Certainly better than the airlines, railroad, cars, condos on the beach, factories and shipping.
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Arial, Verdana, Sas-Serif; font-size: 13px; ">Between 1992 and 2006 There were 39 blowouts during that period ? 38 of them in the Gulf of Mexico ? recorded in MMS accident investigation reports.<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Arial, Verdana, Sas-Serif; font-size: 13px; ">"The primary cause of blowouts, spills and uncontrolled releases of gases from offshore operations is drilling into methane hydrates, or through them into free gas trapped below,"<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Arial, Verdana, Sas-Serif; font-size: 13px; ">
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Arial, Verdana, Sas-Serif; font-size: 13px; ">Video of a blow out in the drill room at the moment one occurs<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Arial, Verdana, Sas-Serif; font-size: 13px; ">
</a>

·
Registered
162 Posts
I remember being on Padre Island back in the summer of 1980 and dodging half dollar size tar balls. I was told by the rangers it was from a mexican well that had blown, guess it was this one. Went back a year later and couldn't see any tar balls at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't ever post. I just like to read the reports and watch the internet battles that go on during my off time. However overblown this may seem to some people, it is devasting to those of us in the shrimp and fish business. I know that the spill in Mexico was SO much worse. I know some people think the media is making too much of it. I don't know. All I know is that I am looking at losing at least one, if not more, years of income. $5000 does not go far when you have boats, houses, kids, sick parents, etc. Think if your boss, be it private sector or military, said we are not going to pay you this year. Your bills are still due everymonth. You can't sell your house because of the real estate bust, all your family is here, and your roots are here. By the way, your future income may dry up year by year as you fall further and further behind.

I am not stupid. I have money saved. Just not a year's salary. Just forgive me if I personally do not think it is overblown at all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts