Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. From my understanding its not possible. But man, I would hate to dress a doe and find that in there.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm sure it's been done, but I doubt anyone would fess up to it, I've seen roadkill does that were pregnant and that is a mess in and of itself, wouldn't want to cut one open to find that. Saw an article once on a deer kill up north, pack of coyotes chased on out onto some ice and nailed her, the biologists that looked her over said she had 4 fetus' in her, that's kinda nuts.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Since the rut, in this part of the country, is in Jan. & Feb., it makes since that the does will get impregnated during this time. A deer's gestation period is about 200 days. Therefore,to kill a pregnant doe, you would have to shoot hersometime during Mar. thru Aug...Way out of the legal season.

I know on rare occasions, a doe can come into heat at various times of the year. So, itmay be slightly possible to kill a preg. doe during the season, but not likely.

Now, I'm not an expert or any kind of biologist. This is just some simple man logic, piecing together from what I do know about deer. Take it for what its worth. And if I'm totally wrong, someone with expert knowledge please correct me!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Our rut has come and went....end of nov.(late this year)but the seasons still in till feb.3rd....I'll let you know...although I'm head hunting right now...already have some meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i have heard that it is possible for some does to come in heat way early. a buck will breed any doe in heat. it could be possible to shoot a doe with a fetus large enough to recognize in late feb. but not probable.

·
Registered
556 Posts
ironman172 (12/19/2007)Our rut has come and went....end of nov.(late this year)but the seasons still in till feb.3rd....I'll let you know...

I'm guessing you're not hunting in AL or FL since your rut has come and gone. Therefore, it would definitely be possible for you to kill a preg. doe. But, I thought AURadar was refering to deer around here.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HeartofDixie, that was my understanding as well. But I have been wrong before on a couple of occasions.

Never killed a doe. Been thinking about taking one though. My dad hates the idea, but I don't think he has legimate reasons. But still, he's all the time telling me things like "what if you killed a pregnant doe?". Man, I couldn't imagine having to dress one.

·
Registered
556 Posts
AUradar (12/19/2007)HeartofDixie, that was my understanding as well. But I have been wrong before on a couple of occasions.

Never killed a doe. Been thinking about taking one though. My dad hates the idea, but I don't think he has legimate reasons. But still, he's all the time telling me things like "what if you killed a pregnant doe?". Man, I couldn't imagine having to dress one.
By The Way:

War Damn Eagle

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Killed an axis doe in Hawaii a few years ago that was carrying twin fawns. Because there's no winter, they breed year round. There'sno way to avoid it, I guess, but it's pretty disturbing.

Ed

·
Registered
380 Posts
I grew up hunting in Central Florida where the rut is early September. The season ends around early to mid January, and almost all of the does I killed in the back half of the season had fetuses in them large enough to tell whether its a doe or a buck. That was back when I was like 14 and 15, now I only kill does during archery. So yes, I've killed plenty of pregnant does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts