Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,897 Posts
So IF that is true then the OP should be able to dock his fish in FL and drive them wherever to clean them. This is assuming you caught them in federal waters, came home through FL, docked in FL and have a FL fishing license.
murfpcola said, As far as cleaning fish goes, can’t I buy whole snapper from Joe Pattis and take them with me to my parents in AL?
You're comparing apples to oranges as for Catching and Buying. If you Bought the fish at the market, you'd have proof with the sales receipt that the fish were bought and not caught.
I don't see a problem if he has Fl Saltwater License, docking in Fl., catching fish in Fl/Fed waters, returning to Fl port, and leaving with said fish, regardless of what state registration the boat is registered.
I personally, if I was only 1/2 mile from AL/Fl state lines, would run parallel to shortest distance into Fl waters, go catch my fish and return the same route as I left. But that's just me.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Cur you are correct, the burden of proof that you caught the fish in a closed state is on the state to prove you stopped and caught the fish in a closed area. Transiting in the water Is perfectly legal. Keep moving and gps tracking. That way you can prove where you caught the fish.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the serious replies. We will catch our fish in Federal water with Florida licenses, leave federal water directly into Florida water and follow Florida water all the way to the FL/AL line. Dock the boat, put fish in cooler and have one of the wives drive them back to AL. We will take video of the fish being removed from the boat and into a cooler in FL as well as being loaded into the truck. Not worth chancing crossing 1/2 mile of AL water with Florida fish in the box. Plus a few kids get to have bent rods in the process.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Years ago I had a warden tell me that if I caught fish in federal waters and came back into a state that the season was closed to keep my gps track on and not stop till I was back on the trailer. Whether that is true or not anymore will be up to the individual officer I would think.
I talked to a fwc officer about this. If Alabama is open and Florida is closed you are not allowed to come into Florida waters. He said they are not going to look at your gps track. You will get a ticket regardless of what your tracking says.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts