Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to make sure I was reading the NOAA website correct. If you have an Alabama fishing license, it is legal to harvest red snappers in federal waters as long as you only bring it back in Alabama waters correct (during the Alabama season obviously)?
I know there use to be separate federal and state seasons but it looks like now federal is ok as long as you return via a state that is in season. Just wanted to make sure I’m suitcases for tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes. Anywhere outside of 9 miles but FWC is know to sit on the AL line. Make sure you land the fish in AL.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
For some reason I had this idea that a nautical mile was 1.3 miles, thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Now that AL snapper is done what about the opposite of above? Can you leave AL, head to Federal water, catch your limit of snapper and come back in Pensacola pass without passing through AL water and dock the boat in FL? Take fish out of the boat put in cooler and have wife drive them back to AL in a truck to be cleaned? We would video fish being taken out of boat in Florida and put in a cooler as well as putting cooler in truck in Florida. We missed the AL season and have a place there and would like some snapper for the freezer.

Legal?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,897 Posts
Is it really worth all that trouble and fuel for 2 snappers?

Cheaper to buy them from Joe Patti's

*** It doesn't close in Alabama until July 3rd. You still have a few days.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Now that AL snapper is done what about the opposite of above? Can you leave AL, head to Federal water, catch your limit of snapper and come back in Pensacola pass without passing through AL water and dock the boat in FL? Take fish out of the boat put in cooler and have wife drive them back to AL in a truck to be cleaned? We would video fish being taken out of boat in Florida and put in a cooler as well as putting cooler in truck in Florida. We missed the AL season and have a place there and would like some snapper for the freezer.

Legal?
Why not just clean the fish in Florida. You can buy Snapper all day long at the fish market and take it wherever you like.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I guess I need to disclose there would be 7 of us for 3-4 days so that would be up to 56 snapper. We could clean them in FL but we have a nice fish cleaning station at our place 1/2 mile from Florida line in AL. It's really not a hassle other than off loading them into a cooler and having a friend drive them 1/2 mail to our place in AL. Land them at the FloraBama Yacht club, have some apps and cocktails and then head 1/2 mile and clean some fish. Who's Joe Patti? :) Would never support the commercial snapper fishery after all the quota they rob from us recreational fisherman.

·
Registered
65 Posts
FYI we would all have FL licenses as well as our already in possession AL licenses. Other than the 3 kids under 16.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts

Legal?
Years ago I had a warden tell me that if I caught fish in federal waters and came back into a state that the season was closed to keep my gps track on and not stop till I was back on the trailer. Whether that is true or not anymore will be up to the individual officer I would think.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

Legal?
As long as you post your boat registration and vehicle tag numbers on this or one of the other public social media sites along with a detailed description of the route that you will be following, then it will be perfectly legal to do what you are describing.(y)

This will also exempt you from having to abide by the posted speed limits and having to stop for traffic lights along your route, since doing either of these could result in your fish spoiling before you could get it back into Alabama.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Just don't stop and fish in a closed area. Keep moving and have gps running a track. No one owns the water. Have legal catch from your tracked area. I'm suprised no marine lawyer has posted on this subject.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
As far as cleaning fish goes, can’t I buy whole snapper from Joe Pattis and take them with me to my parents in AL?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
^^^ Sure can ^^^
So IF that is true then the OP should be able to dock his fish in FL and drive them wherever to clean them. This is assuming you caught them in federal waters, came home through FL, docked in FL and have a FL fishing license.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts