Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an Emperor 12 gauge home defense shotgun.(Turkish Mfg.) I'd shot it 2 times with #6's to pop a coyote and kill a hawk that was eating one of my chickens inside the pen.

I went to the range with son and grandson this past weekend. I wanted to sight in with slugs. One shot with a slug and that is the last one I will ever shoot. Holy mackerel that thing kicks. Of course it weighs less than 6#. I'm not terribly recoil sensitive but that sucker hurt me.

It is chambered for 3" mag but I'm scared to shoot them I have some reduced recoil 00 buck that I want to try. With the light loads of #6's I didn't notice the kick.

Can you imagine cracking off a 3" mag load with one of the Mossberg pistol grip stupid looking shotguns? A local woman here in Crystal River lost several teeth along with a broken jaw to one of them. I'll bet her husband suffered more than she did, though. Probably still sleeping in the dog house.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I wouldn't advertise you killed a hawk. That will be a federal crime and you won't just have FWC knocking at your front door. I have shot one of those mossbergs with that grip and it really isn't that bad and I was shooting 3" 4 buck Remington Expresses. As long as you hold the shotgun correctly it isn't bad at all..

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Wosrt kick I and a few of my friends have felt is my Mossberg 835 with 3.5" OO buck. It pulls something in my neck every time I try it. No more 3.5" for me.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
What hawk? I protect my animals too! I have a two trigger Turkish Atmacka; even with bird shot it hurts; and I've pulled both triggers at the same time just for "kick", I got over that real quick!

·
Registered
973 Posts
My brother had some cheap slugs that we sighted in for his mosberg 535 w/ rifles slug barrel and It had some recoil then we put some hornady slugs in and the recoil increased dramatically those things were hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
757 Posts
I went down to a 20 ga. and the 3'' slugs have a pretty thump. I had a Marlin 12 ga. bolt action goose gun we called " The Mule" it would hurt you with 3" slugs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I once fired a 450/500 Nitro express from a double barrel Holland & Holland rifle. I was knocked down by the recoil & had a purple bruise for more than a fortnight.. The old British .303 also had a bad kick.

·
Super Moderator
28,581 Posts
I've shot a Barrett 50 and my Steyr 300 WM......My Steyr kicks alot more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts