Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Weedy Lake again late this evening. That Booya Jr Frog is the shiznitz!!! Landed a dozen or so, biggest about 4 lbs. Lost some bigger ones. Also caught a grinnell. Thought I had a world record until it surfaced.

Bought a new (used) 20 ga boat gun at Marks in Bham this weekend. Came in handy. 2 nutria nutrialized.

Weird thing was, 20 minutes before dark they just shut off. Usually that's game time. Not today.

Oh well, offshore boat is fixed so hopefully will catch some CEARS this weekend.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Man, my hookup to strike percentage on the frogs is still not what I think it should be. I modify them, sharpen and bend hooks, let em take it.... but I still miss a bunch. Any tips?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, my hookup to strike percentage on the frogs is still not what I think it should be. I modify them, sharpen and bend hooks, let em take it.... but I still miss a bunch. Any tips?
I wish I knew. I hook and lose about 50% of my strikes. I think the bass hit them so hard and clamp so tight, the hooks don't bite well. Then the first jump or head shake, and it pops out. Plus every bass I hook seems to run right at the boat (I think they are headed to deep water to finish off their meal). So getting the line tight is a challenge.

I've started setting the hook 3 or 4 times to help sink them.

Reactions: Catchemall

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weedy Lake

Full of hydrilla, with deep channels cut around various features. Turns into a swamp. Amazing wildlife here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I wish I knew. I hook and lose about 50% of my strikes. I think the bass hit them so hard and clamp so tight, the hooks don't bite well. Then the first jump or head shake, and it pops out. Plus every bass I hook seems to run right at the boat (I think they are headed to deep water to finish off their meal). So getting the line tight is a challenge.

I've started setting the hook 3 or 4 times to help sink them.
Good to know I'm not the only one. I'll try the multiple hook set technique. Thanks

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Have a second rod ready with a worm or lizard on it. As soon as he blows up and misses, IMMEDIATELY throw the lizard/worm in the boil (before you wind in the frog). I have actually done that successfully with blow-ups on Zara Spooks, buzzbaits, etc.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'll stick my neck out on the line... For better hook ups you have to have patience. I have taken many people on Froggin' trips on Guntersville to be sorely disappointed. The key is to let them take the bait and physically wait until you feel them put the pressure on the bait then set the hook. This can take up to 4 to 5 seconds before you feel it. In my experience people see the fish blow up, get excited and set the hook. The above is extremely important if fishing in thick vegetation, but also equally important in open water strikes.

It is comparable to fishing a worm or slow moving single hook bait. You set the hook once you feel the fish has it. The only difference is that you are going off sight (with a frog) unlike conventional topwater plugs that have two or three sets of treble hooks.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll stick my neck out on the line... For better hook ups you have to have patience. I have taken many people on Froggin' trips on Guntersville to be sorely disappointed. The key is to let them take the bait and physically wait until you feel them put the pressure on the bait then set the hook. This can take up to 4 to 5 seconds before you feel it. In my experience people see the fish blow up, get excited and set the hook. The above is extremely important if fishing in thick vegetation, but also equally important in open water strikes.

It is comparable to fishing a worm or slow moving single hook bait. You set the hook once you feel the fish has it. The only difference is that you are going off sight (with a frog) unlike conventional topwater plugs that have two or three sets of treble hooks.
That's great advice. Like circle hooks, I Bill Dance it every time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts