Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on being a little more prepared this year after blowing a motor and having her rebuilt this past year. I have a 17' CC Polar bay boat, my fishing never takes me beyond the sight of land, mostly bays and sounds, I may go out thru Pickens and McRae and fish the gulf for pomps but strictly along shore. What is a good handheld VHF to look for and what is the best towing service to get in case I break down on the water ?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
CCC do yu have the saltwater series? I have a Polar as well.....it gets me around , and since I never go out of range Ialways use my cell phone, had a hand held but sold it since I never used it. It's nice to have one yeah, but again no need for one imo. Have a radio fixed on the boat yes but thats about it, No stereo..justupgraded to aGarmin gps/ff and fixing to sell a Furuno 600L bottom machine( if anyone is interested) still mounted on my boat,,new transom xducerand all...great fish finder if you ask me...good luck with the new ride and welcome back to the water.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I use Sea Tow and have been extremely happy with their service. I don't have a handheld VHF.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
We sell Sea Tow,,, as far as im concerned it is the best around,,, come on in and get one,,,,

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Reed,I have a handheld you can hold onto for a while. It's a uniden with second battery. It'll only cost you a few days fishing.

·
Praedator
10,009 Posts
Both Sea Tow and Tow Boat US are both good companies. They both are equally good in my book for on the water towing. I got Boat US towing because for the same price of Sea Tow, I got trailer service as well with Boat US. They will tow both my boat/trailer and tow vehicle up to 100 miles if I break down on the road. It is an added option to Boat US towing. But it comes out to the same price as Sea Tow or a few dollars less actually.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Intersting question as both were used by me last year. First of all I use Boat US for towing. I also have a hand held unit (ICOM B-166). When my engine gave up on me last year about 6 miles out (land still in sight) I tried using my hand held. I had to stand on the seat in order for Boat US to hear my transmission. If I were you I would invest in a Marine VHF radio and antenna, even for those close in trips. You just can't go wrong with a VHF radio and good antenna (matched). I would hate to think that I couldn't get in touch with someone if I had an engine problem within sight of land. That could still be a very long swim.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Reed You Know I have a VHF but I Really Don't think you Need one, The one Time I had To Call seatow I was In the Bay and Got Them On My Cell Plus My Cell can Pick up to 12 Miles Out I have tow BoatUS, now for a Year and Thank God Have not had to use them But I Think They are Both Good Company's, Talk to you Tomorrow about Friday!!!!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fishermon, yes I have the saltwater series, NEVER touched saltwater since 1995 when it was new, bought it from a guy in Birmingham that used it at his lake house, LOVE IT !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts