Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a wealth of knowledge here on this subject and would appreciate any helpful advice from forum members. With all the wack jobs and break ins I'm hearing about in the area, I'm thinking I need to address the potential for problems. 21 freakin' homocides in Esc. Cty. this year!!!!Never really been a gun guy so to speak, but have used them enough to know and respect one. I'd like to get some practice with a hand gunand teach my wifehow to shoot it. She's not at all comfortable with guns. We have a .32 semi-automatic Deutshe Werke I haven't shot in a long time and was wondering where we could practice; preferably close to Tiger Point area until she gets comfortable and possibly buy another. Any recommendations or comments? Thanks,

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don't know of any ranges out your way. I usually go up to the range on Quintet Rd.

The rifle range there is probably Very crowded this time of year, but the pistol range probably isn't too bad.

·
Praedator
10,048 Posts
There is only one public range in the area that does not require an annual membership, and it's not especially close to Tiger Point.

See this thread for more info. http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic20609-42-1.aspx

You can also PM Jason on the forum. He has a range set up at his house in I think either northern Santa Rosa county or right across the line in Alabama. He is a County Deputy as well, and I am sure he can give some advice as well. He has an open offer for forum members to come out to his place and shoot.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guy's. I've heard about the range at Quintet, but was hoping there might be something a little closer to home.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
We have room for shooting here. We are in west Pcola, near the equestrian center. We've got some steel knock downs and swingers set up. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Mike aka FishWerks (11/21/2007)We have room for shooting here. We are in west Pcola, near the equestrian center. We've got some steel knock downs and swingers set up. Shoot me a PM if your interested.
We're aboutthe same neighborhood... I'm on Helms,about due South of the Equestrian Center.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
FelixH, send a pm and lets get together. I think we have a few forum members who live out this way.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Clay, we have a pretty simple set up here. A little land and a couple good lanes set up for target or for sighting in your weapon. We try to keep the high caliber to a minimum...low key is good. If you want to shoot let me know and we can set something up, would look forward to it... No power head targets thought...:poke

Happy Tday man.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I here ya. Got a .40 cal need to run some rounds thru. Also got a SKS that I trefuse to take to a range, 30 round clips just can't be shot one at a time. Would like to get over there sometime, and try out the .40 cal. Still lookin for a plce to have fun with the big boy though. Bluehoo has a lotta property over in AL I have been meaning to hook up with him over there sometime.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Try taking a firearms class with the sheriff's office or Pensacola City Police. They share a lot of personal protection info. Well worth the time and what ever fee they charge.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
ButtNekid (11/28/2007)Try taking a firearms class with the sheriff's office or Pensacola City Police. They share a lot of personal protection info. Well worth the time and what ever fee they charge.
Absolutely agreed, those classes will give you a lot of very good information about shooting and the law. The CCL class I took was great in every way. Shooting was an afterthought, but the information they shared was very valuable as far as how I can protect myself should I have to use my weapon.

Not putting down your gun, but I can conceal a .38 just as easily as I can a .32. I have .357 that is the same size as most .38's. Go with whatever you like, the .357 is a little rough to shoot, but I only plan to shoot it when my family's life is in danger, so recoil is not an issue for me. Keltec makes a pretty nice little .380 that I would feel very comfortable having on me. If that .32 works for you, by all means any gun is better than no gun at all. I never ever want to point my gun at any human being. However, it is better to have and not need than need and not have. Good luck and I hope you find a place to shoot (sounds like Mike is a good avenue for you).

Not sure about your area, but there are Concealed Carry Associations nearby that I am a member of. They have several instructors that teach defensive shooting for a very reasonable fee. I took one just to see if there was anything I did not know, and I was very suprised, some great tips. I am going to take my wife and have her do the same. Be safe and good luck, sounds like you are on the right track.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I realize there are a lot of gun enthusiasts on this site. I don't want to derail or start a handgun debate. My opinion for a weapon for home safety especially for those that don't manipulate or handle weapons frequently is a good old revolver. They are basically foolproof and you don't have to think in a pinch, just point and shoot. I have a .357 revolver in my home and every confidence my wife would easily utilize itif she deemed necessary. I agree with Michael in thatunder stress, recoil would not be a concern and probably not noticed.

I am aware that .32 and .22 caliber weapons are probably, until recent years responsible for more homicides than any other handguns.I feel semi autos and novice shooters don't really go well together under stress. If she is willing to put in the time and train then thats another issue. Congratulations on your decision to take a little control of your personal safety. It's a good move.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you are strictly in to home defense I think your best bet would be a shotgun. They are easy to operate , plenty of capacity, devastating wound potential, and you dont need to be a marksman under a stressful situation.

I have morehandguns than the wife will ever know about but the person dumb enough to kick in my door gets to look down the barrel of a remington 1100

·
Registered
747 Posts
i have to agree with shrimp . nothing is easier to hit someone with and cause stopping power than a good ol' shotgun. just point and pull the trigger. (in a home invasion or causing harm to you or family of course)

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I sold guns years ago my advise to people just for home defense.

1. If shotgun, .410. unless you don't have anyone else in the house. You don't want to destroy everything in site (baby in the next room)

2. Pistol- Revolver, unless the person is comfortable with a semi-auto.

3. Get what feels good to YOU, not what is the coolest or best for someone else.Whether the gun cost $100 or $700 if it feels good to you, You will get better results. If you grab a gun and the first thing you think is I don't like this or that, you have alreadylimited your ability. You have to have confidence. Most people in your situation walked out with a 357/38 revolver. When you squeeze the trigger that cylinder is coming around, and someone is about to have a really bad day.

just my 0.02 hope it helps.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Killin' Time (11/29/2007)When I sold guns years ago my advise to people just for home defense.

1. If shotgun, .410. unless you don't have anyone else in the house. You don't want to destroy everything in site (baby in the next room)

3. Get what feels good to YOU, not what is the coolest or best for someone else.Whether the gun cost $100 or $700 if it feels good to you, You will get better results. If you grab a gun and the first thing you think is I don't like this or that, you have alreadylimited your ability. You have to have confidence. Most people in your situation walked out with a 357/38 revolver. When you squeeze the trigger that cylinder is coming around, and someone is about to have a really bad day.

Damn good advice!!!!!!!!!!

·
Praedator
10,048 Posts
Killin' Time (11/29/2007)When I sold guns years ago my advise to people just for home defense.

Good advice. Here is a site showing some test of certain rounds against drywall. It's interesting, especially the shotgun tests.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot14.htm

and here

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

And the main page with other interesting tests.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I agree with the shotgun over a pistol for home defense. I know we all talk big and bad about our shooting ability, but I wonder. If something woke you up in the middle of hte night, you stumble out of bed, get your gun, search the house (in the dark) get startled by an intruder, decide to shoot......are you going to make a good aim shot? And with a revolver, are you going to shoot acurately on multiple shots (having to deal with double action). I don't know. I don't think I could.

I also perfer shotguns for snakes over pistols, same reason, don't have to aim.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts